How much to tip?

Two painters are working on the exterior as I type. Last time they painted, it looked like they were expecting tips. I wasn’t prepared. With the virus and all, I would like to tip. What will be a right amount? I don’t think $10-20 will cut it. Do you tip your workers?

We recently tipped a painter who was here for a week. He did a spectacular job removing old wallpaper, patching and sanding. He wore a mask the entire time, without our having to ask, and state restrictions would have allowed him not to. The job took twice as long as expected because that wallpaper did not want to come off. He was here a week, and we tipped him $100. He really earned it.

If the job hadn’t required so much additional time and effort, we’d have tipped less. He was an employee, not the owner of the company. Looking forward to hearing what others have done.

Depends on size of job, quality of work and how much extra effort was put in. I only tip the employees as well. $100 sounds right for job @frazzled1 described (assume we are not talking about some massive sized house). I tipped a bit more to my last painter because he also cleared out some high gutters that I couldn’t get to and told me about some loose flashing/roof tiles that I got my roof guy to fix. As far as the owner/company was concerned, I gave him a bunch of immediate referrals.

I hate tipping! I don’t hate rewarding good work or handing over the money, but I am always anxious about the amount and whether a tip is expected or appropriate. When I used to take taxis a lot on business trips and it was all in cash, I stressed the whole way about whether I had the right money and how much was the tip going to be. In your case, I would do $20 for this work.

I guess I am different from most of you. When someone comes to do work in our home we get a quote and pay that amount. No tips to the workers.

I never tipped before for the work done on the house. I get an estimate and I pay what was asked for. This won’t be anything special. But they acted last time, they were expecting. Hate to let them down.

We rarely have workers in our home. When we have movers in the not-too-distant future, we’ll tip unless the service is disastrous. My son-in-law once spent a few months working in a moving crew. I was shocked to learn how little they were paid for very hard physical work. When you’re writing a check to the moving company for several thousand dollars, you expect the people doing the moving to make more than $15/hour, but that wasn’t the case for my SIL.

Was wondering the same question. We currently have a painter touching up exterior spots. Independent & charges hourly. He explained he’s a “perfectionist”, and admitted it will take him longer than most painters. But his his hourly rate is VERY low, and he gave us a maximum amount of time it will take him to finish the work, so we know in advance an approximate amount.

His rationale was that the bidding process also has its faults. Once a painter and home owner agree to a bid price, the incentive is for the painter to complete the work as fast as they can, which is not always a good thing.

We have used a handyman/friend who charges hourly, but he’s great. Creative problem solver, and fast! First time we’re trying this method for a painter. It’s a small job, so we were willing to take the chance and see how he does. So far, work looks good, and he’s working a lot faster than we could.

So a tip in order? Or hourly rate fair enough?

We tip movers.

We don’t tip workers that do the work at our house. This summer, we had a ton of landscaping work done, and a new driveway put in. It never dawned on me to tip the crews who did the work.

Same with exterior house painting. We didn’t tip the crews.

But we did provide cold water bottles, and donuts.

And I am usually a big tipper, but not for these crews.

I also don’t tip workers like that that come to the house. But this reminds me of years ago, one of the exterior painters asked me for a loan of like $40 …yuck…I didn’t want to get him fired so I didn’t say anything to the business owner, but reading your message, now I’m thinking of that and how it caused us to never hire that company again. I might just contact the business owner (if there is someone to contact that is above the painters) and ask if there is a tipping policy or if tips are expected. He might say yes, or might be appalled that his guys are acting like they should get a tip (not that you need to report that, you could just ask the question).

I’ve often tips people like movers, appliance/furniture delivery, etc. I’m guessing they don’t make a ton and if they were courteous and careful I appreciate (and yes, expect) that.

However there are times that a painter or cement layer or whatever really goes above and beyond in a circumstance, with advice or whatever - if I am moved to be really thankful for that, we will pay a little extra at the final payment (assuming to an individual)

We’ve always regretted not tipping the mover/driver that handled our from NY to CO (corporate transfer in 1993 - some stuff to our temporary apartment, some stuff to storage). He did a wonderful job, but we had kids ages 1 and 4 and were overloaded with stress that day.

I wouldn’t tip an independent contractor unless they did something above and beyond the contracted job. When we have bigger jobs going on we’ll buy lunch for the crew on Fridays. Always have cold water & snacks available (which are mostly refused).

I recently received a fabulous floral arrangement as a gift from a friend delivered by my favorite florist. I recognized the owner’s husband making the delivery (he does not know me). I told him to hang on while I get a tip, but he waved me off and sped away. Maybe my friend tipped already.

I do give $10 or so to charity pickup drivers saying to buy a soda or a snack as they go about their route. (Because I think tipping is not allowed and they are certainly working at a low wage.)

I don’t tip the electrician, the painters (husband/wife team), gardener, … I do tip the charity pick up men( if they are nice), the regular worker sent from my home insurance company. So, the people who are employed get tipped, not the independent workers.

As an example, my homeowners insurance people sent 3 men to add a vent to my bedroom. They left in 10 minutes or less saying it couldn’t be done. Then the company sent 2 men, one a small wiry young man. They succeeded. I gave each of them $20 And good recommendations to the company. I write down the name of the worker and ask if that person is available, and that I’ll wait for him.

These are employees of a painting company. In the meantime, I decided to tip them. They’ve been so courteous and working hard and fast. Question is how much? $100? $200? They will be here for two weeks.

$100 each? The will be thrilled.

I was thinking $100 for both. I usually give the headman the tip to split in any way he sees fit.

I would consider tipping each of them equally, assuming they each put in the same amount of time. I have had an instance where the ‘headman’ pocketed the entire amount for himself.