How much will taking Multivariable Calculus help in admissions?

<p>Will taking multivariable calculus help in admissions? I took Calc BC sophomore year and I am currently thinking of taking multivariable junior year. Schools I'm aiming for: HYPSM + caltech</p>

<p>Will it help that you're very advanced in math? Sure. But that's not the only thing. Take the toughest load possible</p>

<p>If it's a college class (dual enrollment) it will of course help your app. However, if you're looking for a major boost, unless your are heavily math or science themed, it would be little different from taking Statistics or Sociology. Generally, you can't go wrong with comm. college classes.</p>

<p>It'll help in increasing your overall course rigor but it as a class by itself is not going to affect your college decision.</p>

<p>I imagine that schools like MIT and Caltech will expect you to have a math senior year that is more difficult than your junior year math. For you, that means multivariable.</p>

<p>Yes, especially at Math and Science oriented institutions such as Cal Tech and MIT.</p>

<p>It will help, but only slightly.</p>

<p>I take it you're looking to take a math-intensive college curriculum. Taking it now is something you won't regret even if you do poorly. You'll be that much farther ahead than everyone else when you do get to college. It might help a LITTLE bit with admissions, but I think the best argument for taking it is that you'll get through your college coursework faster and/or easier.</p>

<p>Getting into top schools are not only focused about grades and classes. What are your extracurricular activities? Clubs or activities you are passionate about?</p>

<p>Nah. Basically not. Learning is great for the soul, but things like acing math competitions, sending in published work, etc, which you can package will likely help much more for competitive admissions. </p>

<p>As far as learning, having <em>a</em> serious schedule is more important than having any specific kind.</p>

<p>Lots and lots of students at those schools have math that goes way beyond high school math. They would also like to see you do something with it such as math competitions.</p>