How narrow is this essay prompt?

<p>The school I am applying to has a few essay prompts and a long word limit. However I think the prompt I can write most easily about is narrow. Here it is:</p>

<p>"Tell us about the neighborhood that you grew up in and how it helped shape you into the kind of person you are today."</p>

<p>My question is, can neighborhood also include my family, school and community? I believe these three rather than my neighborhood has done the most to shape who I am now. </p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Personally I think that what's important about your neighborhood is your community (including its people). It's where (and delving deeper, who and what) you're from.</p>

<p>i had a question like that (is it for brown?) and did not once mention the word neighborhood.</p>

<p>I'm sure writing about my community and the who and what are relevant in the prompt. As for where becomes more ambiguous to me. I originally thought by neighborhood, it means the area I live in. But I don't interact or know my neighbors so it doesn't make sense to talk about that. </p>

<p>So the "neighborhood that you grew up" doesn't have to be like the area/neighborhood in which you grew up? Because one can experience growth in school or the community, I think it would okay to talk about that.</p>

<p>

No, it is for Georgia Tech. But thanks for your input.</p>

<p>Shameless bump.</p>

<p>To quote the New Oxford American Dictionary: </p>

<p>"neighborhood |ˈnābərˌhoŏd| ( Brit. neighbourhood)
noun
a district, esp. one forming a community within a town or city : she lived in a wealthy neighborhood of Boston.
• the people of such a district : the party disturbed the whole neighborhood.
• neighborly feeling or conduct : the importance of neighborhood to old people.
• the area surrounding a particular place, person, or object : he was reluctant to leave the neighborhood of Butte.
• Mathematics: the set of points whose distance from a given point is less than (or less than or equal to) some value. "</p>

<p>I would go for it, but you can decide for yourself :)
I doubt they are going to be nitpicking, the question is trying to find out how the place you grew up in and people you grew up with shaped who you are and it sounds like your response will answer that</p>

<p>Thank you justlara! I am now confident that the prompt isn't restricted as I thought before.</p>