How often are you harassed by the Police?

<p>I just went to the store.
I was searched.
My razor blade was taken away from me (I didn't know I had it in my pocket, I used it when I was enrolled in my technical school).
If you're from the hood, then you know of this this daily reality.
Things have to change!
The only thing that saved me was my Fordham acceptance letter.</p>

<p>*I just went to the store.
I was searched.
*</p>

<p>Sounds like you're leaving out a few steps in this story. Police can't search you without a reasonable suspicion. So what did you not tell us?</p>

<p>"reasonable suspicion"
A Puerto Rican in the ghetto.
They asked me if I witnessed a robbery.
I said: "no."
Four Pigs (oops, cops) jumped out of their squad car and searched me.
Icarus, are you a cop lover?
I don't mean to be rude.</p>

<p>Icarus: Have you ever been imprisoned?</p>

<p>In the immortal words of N.W.A - </p>

<p>"**** the POLICE!"</p>

<p>Police can and will ask you to "empty your pockets" when they stop you. It has happened to me, and I am older than dirt !!!</p>

<p>It happens late at night more often than midday, and has happened to me while driving, walking down the street, sitting in a car in a public (strip mall) parking lot and waiting for a bus.</p>

<p>It happens more often when dressed casually than in a suit and tie, and happens more often downtown San Jose or predominately hispanic/asian East Side San Jose than in other parts of Silicon Valley.</p>

<p>Four different law enforcement agencies patrol the SJSU/downtown San Jose area: SJPD, Santa Clara County Sheriff, California Highway Patrol (CHP) and SJSU campus police. I have been stopped by all four agencies at night.</p>

<p>It was SJSU campus police that arrested (DUI) former S.F. 49er quarterback Jeff Garcia as he drove out of a Jack-in-the-Box parking lot in downtown S.J. one night after the bars had closed.</p>

<p>Being stopped doesn't happen every day, but it does happen !!!</p>

<p>They cannot do that to you legally. As Icarus said, a policeman is not allowed to search you without just cause. If you are walking along the street minding your own business then they are not allowed by law to search you.
I fully support the police and what they do. I feel as if they have to deal with enough liberal bs as it is.</p>

<p>Right........just like DWB doesn't cause folks to be pulled over and questioned.....all the time.</p>

<p>

it may not be legal, but it still occurs...</p>

<p>Police often times will "pressure" people to consent to a search with out actually legaly compelling them to do so. Next time the cops "ask" to search you, state that you will not resist them but are not consenting to the search.</p>

<p>
[quote]
They cannot do that to you legally. As Icarus said, a policeman is not allowed to search you without just cause.

[/quote]
Remember, the police may not be putting their hands into someone's pockets, but are telling you to empty your own pockets. Technically, they are not illegally searching, but it is an indirect search via police intimidation: a spotlight in your face and forceful language.</p>

<p>hazmat, there are certain bars in certain parts of town where there is a line of police cars and tow trucks waiting for a bar to close for the night, knowing that most (younger) drivers will be under the influence. Yet, they don't go after my generation who are in nice suits and have just spent $300-$500 at a 5-star hotel or restaurant, drinking the best imported wines and champaign available, possibly are more drunk than you younger folks who are leaving a nightclub around the corner.</p>

<p>The San Jose City Council recently passed an ordinance whereby the police can shut down a nightclub for 30 days just for being a threatening menace (my words).</p>

<p>... from the Metro Newspaper ...</p>

<p>Local nightclub owners are angry not only about the new nightclub ordinance giving the police full power to shut down a club whenever they feel like it, but also about the cavalier and near-secret method in which the controversial ordinance was railroaded through. So it's no surprise that representatives from nearly every establishment downtown showed up to a meeting last week with the police at City Hall. The vote by the S.J. City Council two days before this powwow was a response to recent shootings near the Ambassador's Lounge downtown, and allowed police to close down a nightclub for 30 days if imminent threats to public health, safety or welfare can be traced to the club itself. This could be on the premises of the club or anywhere 100 feet from the club—basically, they're going to hold the club responsible for whatever happens in a parking lot down the street. However, the ordinance is an experimental 90-day attempt to forge a solution to the problem, and Chief Rob Davis stressed at the meeting that the ordinance was not an attempt to "bring the hammer down." That was a highlight, but one not-so-high-light included a police sergeant mistakenly addressing former Studio 47 owner Harry Evans as Jacek Rosicki, owner of Agenda. Amid the laughter, one club owner said, "I wonder who was more embarrassed by that, Jacek or Harry."</p>

<p><a href="http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/11.23.05/fly-0547.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/11.23.05/fly-0547.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>A lot of younger people go to the nightclubs in downtown San Jose, leading to massive traffic jams, drug dealing in plain view and violence sometimes. The upcoming Fat Tuesday celebration will bring out the absolute worst acting people in Silicon Valley to downtown San Jose, and very negative police reaction. </p>

<p>But my posts refer mainly to negative police reaction on a "normal" nights!</p>

<p>
[quote]
Right........just like DWB doesn't cause folks to be pulled over and questioned.....all the time.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>True. A lot of people pretend, or are just ignorant that this exists, but I've seen it numerous times with friends I'm with.</p>

<p>Icarus, are you a cop lover?</p>

<p>If by that you mean do I respect the cops and what they do, then yes. I work at a police department, and all the officers I work with are great people that I have a lot of respect for. </p>

<p>Icarus: Have you ever been imprisoned?</p>

<p>No, but I don't see what that has to do with anything.</p>

<p>"No, but I don't see what that has to do with anything."</p>

<p>Do you know the myth of Icarus?</p>

<p>If you do know it, then you would have realized that the above was a joke.</p>

<p>Ya, to the hustlers, killers, murderers, drug dealers even the strippers
To the victims of welfare feel we living in hell here, hell yea
Now hear Ye hear Ye wanna see Thee more clearly
I know He hear me when my feet get weary</p>

<p>Kanye West!</p>

<p>to be fair, my friends got pulled over for DWW in a black neighborhood.</p>

<p>*Do you know the myth of Icarus?</p>

<p>If you do know it, then you would have realized that the above was a joke.*</p>

<p>Of course I do - its the basis for my sn here. But with the topic of this thread being what it is, it was not so clear that your statement was a joke.</p>

<p>I don't have much respect for the police. Not because it's cool to hate on the cops, but because of the way they treat people in my town. They're cocky and rude to everyone.</p>

<p>I once set off the alarm to my house and couldn't remember the code (since we almost never set it). I waited for the cops to come, and they asked me a few questions to verify that it was an accident. That's about the only time I've ever been stopped by a cop; I see no reason to even do anything that could possibly result in any kind of brush with the law. Besides, for the most part, I respect cops.</p>