How should I tackle this essay question?

<p>the common app essay i'm planning to write is:</p>

<p>"A range of academic interests, personal perspectives, and life experiences adds much to the educational mix. Given your personal background, describe an experience that illustrates what you would bring to the diversity in a college community, or an encounter that demonstrated the importance of diversity to you."</p>

<p>now, i'm not trying to get anyone to answer this essay question for me, but is there any "trick" to answering this question that would make my essay better?
in other words, is there a specific way i should write it?
i have the information that i want to convey, i just want some opinions on how to convey it to the admissions officers.</p>

<p>Ask yourself, "How many other applicants could have written this essay?" after you're done. If the number is high, then the essay is not unique.</p>

<p>should i choose the free response essay choice then? i'm comfortable writing any essay if it would help my admission chances</p>

<p>Well, my point was, while you want to be unique no matter what essay you write, if you're writing about how you will bring diversity to campus, you certainly don't want to be "diverse" in a non-unique way.</p>

<p>
[quote]
you certainly don't want to be "diverse" in a non-unique way.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>An excellent point, and probably the best advice you'll get given that we don't know your life experiences.</p>

<p>Since you already have a general idea of what you want to say, it may be helpful to freewrite--that is, write non-stop for a specific block of time without letting your pen leave the paper. Sometimes your subconscious can tie together disparate points more interestingly/seamlessly than can your conscious, editing mind.</p>

<p>*be given, lol</p>