How to ask to shadow a doctor?

<p>Hey CC,
I'm a HS student with a strong interest in both basic science and medicine. </p>

<p>I have some basic research experience, having interned in a biochem lab this past summer. It really gave me a good idea of what it's like, being a scientist. </p>

<p>I want to shadow a physician as well, so I can get an idea of what life as a doctor is like.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, neither of my parents are doctors ( engineer and biochemist) and nor do they have any contacts or friends who I can shadow. Everyone I know has usually shadowed their parents or parents' friends, so I'm at a loss where to start. </p>

<p>My mom suggested I send out emails asking if I can shadow people, like I do with labs, but I feel that's sort of awkward and informal since I'd be asking if I could follow them around, opposed to asking if I can work for them. </p>

<p>Do you guys have any advice/suggestions/ past experiences with this kind of thing? </p>

<p>Thanks in advance! :)</p>

<p>Contact your family's primary care provider and start asking there. You can also ask any other physicians who treat you or any of your family members. If they say no, ask if they would know of any other physicians who might let you shadow them.</p>

<p>If you or your family have any kind of social contacts at all with physicians thru your church group or a fraternal or other social organization, you can ask them. (Think Boy/Girl Scouts, PTA, stuff like that.) If they say no, ask if they would know of any other physicians who might let you shadow them.</p>

<p>IOW, network like crazy!</p>

<p>You can also contact your local hospital and ask if they have a list of physicians who would be willing to have you shadow them. Or ask if they will accept volunteers in the ER or any other department. If you volunteer there long enough, you'll meet plenty of doctors, some of whom might be willing to have you shadow them.</p>

<p>Email and ask doctors that you know. have you been to MD office ever? If not, then it is harder. Ask your friends' parents.</p>

<p>Is there a way to make shadowing official? or do medical schools just take your word for it.
sorry if this is a dumb question.</p>

<p>^I wouldn't know, sorry. (HS here)</p>

<p>Thanks for the advise WayOutWestMom! We actually don't have a PC doctor yet- I moved to a new country recently and almost all of the doctors aren't accepting patients. I haven't really quite <em>settled</em> in at this city, but I'm sure I will come into contact with more doctors once everything stabilizes somewhat.</p>

<p>I will try calling up some hospitals that are nearby-hopefully they can help me out and I can also ask some Profs if they know anyone.</p>

<p>@MiamiDAP, I hae been in an MD office before (far too often, actually :( ) but I've just moved and don't have a PC physician and nor are most of my new friends' parents doctors. I will definitely trying sending some emails though.</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice :)!</p>