HOW to book Travel to ONE EUROPEAN city from U.S. and RETURN from Another European City/Country

Say I want to fly in to Barcelona, travel around Europe and leave in 3 weeks from Rome? How does one BOOK that ticket. Also relative in Rome is coming back to U.S. with me.

HOW do I book these tickets? I can’t figure it out on skyscanner. It seems the assumption is that you will come in to one city and depart from same city. Help, experienced travelers!!

It is not an option on Skyscanner. Try another site like Orbitz.

On the Delta website you select “multi cities” and from there it becomes intuitive. I assume other sites have something similar. Expedia has “multiple destinations.”

Ok, I will, thanks. Any suggestions for the best and cheapest way to do this?

This is called an open jaw itinerary.
Here is an example on how to book.
http://maphappy.org/2014/05/how-to-book-cheap-open-jaw-tickets/

Agree that many cities including united and itasoftware.com allow multi-ciy travel that allows you to book flights starting from one city and then flying to as many cities as desired. You can book starting in one direction or the other–since you have a relative flying from Rome, try starting or ending your travel in Rome and another gateway city like London, Frankfurt, Vienna, Paris, or other major city for best pricing. When I did it decades ago, We flew in to Frankfurt, caught Eurail and the Chunnel around Europe and flew out of London Heathrow to get back to Honolulu. There was less backtracking since we made one big loop through the cities and countries we were interested in seeing.

That’s basically what is happening HIMom. I can’t figure out how to book the tickets. argh

try flyimg aer lingus. it’s cheaper to take a shuttle flight back and forth from Ireland.

I use kayak to search for tickets. It searches various airlines and websites. When you find a flight you like, it takes you to the site to book it. Just select multi city if you want to fly back from a different city.

Oh, do make sure to check the details of your flight. Sometimes when I search for tickets to England, I will find an itinerary popping up that takes 30 hours instead of the normal 14-15!

I do the same as swim cats. Use kayak then I go to the airlines ( BA, United, etc) and use multi city option. The airlines have European partners. The only thing I noticed is they will not assign a seat in the Euopean flights ahead of time. We do this all the time without problems.

Here–try this website http://matrix.itasoftware.com. Click on the multi-city tab and enter the cities you want to fly from, to and out of and where you want to return to. It’s really quite easy. Once you find the airlines you are interested in, book directly on their site. Good luck!

Here-try substituting the city you want to start from and end up in on this website. Also change the dates to match the dates you want. You can also search for up to 2 days before and after the target dates.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/#search:research=HNLBCN-ROMHNL

Just book them each as one way tickets.

2 one way tickets will generally be MUCH more expensive, almost double sometimes.

That was a great site HI Mom. I found the best way to fly nonstop and am able to book a single youth ticket, 12-17. Now I’m not sure if it is ok to book separate flights though. I can’t book in and out on any of the regular sites since this person is under 18. So annoying.

Nope. I CANNOT book a ticket for a youth without an adult. I called. So annoying. I have to go through a travel agent. Apparently I can book return tickets when this youth will be with an 18+ person.

We did a complicated trip where our first “stop” was a week in Capetown. We flew from there to another African country, and then to Brussels…and then home.

We had a travel agent do our whole itinerary. Easy peasy.

I’d ask around and find a local travel agent that does international travel who offers a low flat rate for booking. Sometimes they also have suggestions on where to stay and what to do. They can also help with Eurail tickets if that is needed, or you can do that online, I believe. We never booked tickets for people under 18 flying without adults, so I have no personal experience.

All right. Thanks so much, everyone. It took my entire day and multiple verifications but we are in business with confirmed tickets now. Just FYI, you cannot book a ticket for any minor online, even one who is nearly grown, despite whether the airline says you can or not on the website. I tried multiple times. Said minor MUST be booked through a reservation agent for an airline or a travel agent. So it cost me a little more to use an agent, but I couldn’t have done it anyway.

Hope it all goes well! Thanks so much, and I just thought I would share what I have learned, never having done this before.

Glad you got the ticket issue resolved.

My kids have traveled to Europe with school trips, but never on their own. Is there some sort of parental authorization that needs to accompany them?

Also, some hotels and hostels will not rent to those under 18. Make sure he does his homework up front.

My kid traveled to Ireland when she was 15 or 16. I did not make the reservation. She was traveling with a group. But I think an agent handled the reservations for the group.