How to get in as Animal Science major? (HS senior, CA)

Give it a shot but have a back up that’s affordable and assured.

All one can do.

Best of luck.

2 Likes

Thanks! Hoping I get into SLO :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Are you also thinking of UC Davis? They have an excellent animal science program.

1 Like

Enrollment projections for 2026-2027, specifically for the Animal Science major, is as follows:

FTF (First Time Freshman) Apps: 2105
FTF Target (Freshman Class): 201

We always assume, right or wrong, that SLO accepts 3x (yield of 33%) students to get to a target class, thus 3x = 603 acceptances for Animal Science.

With an assumed 33% yield, then the acceptance rate would be about 29%.

ETA: Oops! I’m sorry @Gumbymom I was scrolling so fast, but I now see you covered this topic.

1 Like

FWIW, you will be competing against other HS students who have taken AP Chem, AP Bio, AP Calc (AB or BC) and/or Honors/AP Physics.

The various SLO sequences of these support classes, which are required, are difficult.

2 Likes

Are there stables in the surrounding communities?

UC Davis has an excellent animal science program. It is competitive but every year there are students who are denied by SLO and accepted to Davis. SLO’s application evaluation is more quantitative and Davis is more holistic. You have many more places on the UC application to explain your extra curriculars (ex. Advisory Board) and let them know how well rounded you are. That said, if you haven’t started working on the UC application, you should start ASAP.

1 Like

Hope you get into CPSLO or other schools you are targeting but don’t forget WUE (perhaps as backups) if you are budget constrained.

There’s 22 schools - like Idaho, Wyoming, Col State, and more - if you need more choice as back ups.

Some of the WUE schools may even be less expensive than an in- state.

Good luck.

2 Likes

I am considering UC Davis, but it’s on the bottom of my list. I don’t really care about reputation and I feel like it doesn’t fit for me. Don’t get me wrong, UC Davis is really great and probably the best for pre-vet, however, I learn way better by doing (hence, cal poly). I also feel like competition at Davis will be highly intense. I’d love to get help with my schooling without trying to fight others for help. But I am looking into UC Davis right now and it’s on my list of colleges.

No I’m so glad you posted this! I didn’t know you could see the enrollment projections for Animal Science, that is so cool. So essentially, I just need to be in the 71st percentile or higher to get an acceptance letter.

Yeah, I wish I figured out a career and a list of colleges way sooner. I would’ve taken AP Chem, AP Bio, and all those other classes. At my school, you can’t really take any AP classes until Junior Year, and even at that point, you can only take a max of 3, but honestly, my fault too for not trying to take them elsewhere. At my school, we focus more on the UCs and way less on the CSUs, so we tend to focus less on rigor and more on making yourself a “unique well-rounded individual.” It’s okay though, if I get into SLO, it’ll be great, if not, that’s alright too!

I am definitely going to try to apply to Davis, I am going to work with counselors to rewrite my PIQs and application.

Schooling for veterinarians is definitely expensive! But, it’s good to know that there are cheaper options. :slight_smile:

And was thinking safer. I don’t think you are limited for vet school by where you go. And I don’t think anyone cares where their vet went.

UCD’s current class is represented by 64 undergrad colleges and likely many not big names.

But I provided WUE because everyone needs a safety - which may be CPP or another for you. Don’t know anything about you and you didn’t do a chance me but I want to make sure you don’t have all your eggs in one basket.

Good luck.

CPP is definitely my 2nd choice, it’s a target for me but I’m not sure if its a safety honestly. But I’m glad I have some more safeties to consider.

1 Like

You should do a chance me or match me.

But just know where you go doesn’t eliminate it necessarily lessen your chances of becoming a vet. Nor does missing classes in hs.

But it is good to have an overall plan just in case, even if you don’t need it.

What is a chance me/match me?

It’s where you lay out your background and schools of interest and people rate your chances and sometimes suggest other schools. A match me is similar but you ask for ideas.

2 Likes

I found this how to

2 Likes

Yield may be higher for majors which are less common among other colleges (particularly CSUs and UCs) than for majors which are more common, since admitted students in the more common majors are more likely to have more choices of colleges.

Out of 23 CSU campuses, 4 (Chico, Fresno, Pomona, and San Luis Obispo) offer animal science or animal health science majors. See https://www.calstate.edu/attend/degrees-certificates-credentials/Pages/search-degrees.aspx

Among UCs, only Davis offers animal biology and animal science: Check majors | UC Admissions

2 Likes

I think I’m good for now. I’m going to work with a counselor at my school to look at my options and chances but thanks so much for your guys’ help!

8 Likes