How to get rid of Unforced Math Errors?

<p>Hey CC! I've contributed my newly founded reading section expertise so I think its time to cash in. My issue is that on the math section, I understand how to do every problem, even the level 5's. But I usually accidentally screw up on a really easy question, like a 2-3, and that causes me to drop down to the lower 700's when I should be scoring in 800's. These little mistakes include misreading, miscalculation , you name it. The funny thing is I miss the MC with these errors, but my write ins are 100% right</p>

<p>Hey,</p>

<p>It sounds like you are taking your skills for granted.</p>

<p>That is, you having the brains and the strategies to rock l.5, so it's not that you don't know how to manipulate simultaneous equations or slopes, rather, you are so confident in your ability that you treat the l.1's like a joke.</p>

<p>How much time do you usually have left after a problem? Perhaps you can force yourself to take an extra 10-15 seconds on the first quarter of the math problems. </p>

<p>So instead of reading and answering in what, 30 seconds, you force yourself to find the answer, then stare at the question for a bit, asking the following questions:</p>

<p>(1) what do i have?
(2) what do i need?
(3) is what i need the answer to the question?
(4) is the number i have the answer to the question?</p>

<h1>2 and #3 are NOT the same. What you need is not always the answer to the question.</h1>

<p>Try a practice section with the 10 second on the easy questions rule and see if you catch your blunders.</p>

<p>Craig Gonzales</p>

<p>I had a similar problem a while ago, and frequently missed easy questions because of careless mistakes as you have pointed out. What I've changed since then is that now, I pace myself to go slowly and take the approach that I can solve all the problems with only logic, algebra, and/or geometry. This forces you to read the problems carefully and to analyze which approach will likely require the least amount of work.</p>

<p>i rush the whole section and try and solve each problem twice now.</p>

<p>seems to work for me haha</p>

<p>I've got exactly the same problem. It was pretty bad before though (like 2-3 easy missed per section) .</p>

<p>It's either caused by over-confidence or the contrary - lack of confidence. Personally, when I lacked confidence , I was worried if I'll have enough time for the last questions (EPSECIALLY on the 20 question math).So I rushed and screwed everything up.</p>

<p>What did the trick is that I decided to focus on doing the first 13-14 questions. As expected, I didn't have time for the last questions. But as my skills built up , everything became lucid, mistakes vanished and the only mistakes I did were in the last 2-3 questions.</p>

<p>Thanks for the tips guys, but like the thing is I can score 800 at home but at the test center I feel in such a rush that I just can't relax and focus there. Any suggestions?</p>

<p>^On practice tests give yourself 5 minutes less on each math section, that will really make time a non factor on test day!</p>

<p>@TheMan51 ....that's actually not a bad idea. I usually have enough time to do so, but I just check my work rather than the question, which may be a problem.</p>

<p>For the record, I'm the same as OP. The highest score I've gotten on a practice test is 740, when I can pretty easily get 800.</p>

<p>Lol. I always make careless mistake in Math. No matter how hard I try not to...</p>

<p>A good way is to write down as much work as possible. Sometimes, your mind skips a step in order to simplify the calculation, causing you to miss out something. It's a little time consuming, but when you write your work down, you are forcing yourself to actually think about the problem. This helps reduce careless mistakes but will not necessarily eliminate them all.</p>

<p>In short, don't do everything in your head.</p>

<p>Read the problem twice. Solves every one of my problems regarding the math section.</p>

<p>During the SAT that just passed, I didn't do that for every problem (for some unknown reason) and got a REALLY easy one wrong.</p>

<p>Misread radii for diameters.</p>

<p>Also, don't make assumptions about problems from just looking at their diagrams. How they are labeled can be purposefully deceiving. (another cause for silly mistakes)</p>

<p>Hey, I would really appreciate it if you would answer my question as well. I have been puzzled as how do you guys succeed in going through the whole math section without skipping anything. I constantly run out of time.. Do you guys sometimes pick the right answer without giving it much thought? Please do share your techniques (: Anything is immensely appreciated!</p>

<p>Well, scientifically speaking, we rely on logical patterns and templates that have been created and established throughout excercise. When a cognizant , well trained person evaluates a problem , he looks at it in a different perespective than a tyro.</p>

<p>If you fail at doing a problem correctly , when your time expires and you have to review, try to do look at the right answer and do it again. It's crucial for you to UNDERSTAND why this is the answer of the problem. If you do it right , next time you encounter such problem you'll already know the pattern for solving it.</p>

<p>Do this with every problem you fail to tackle with and eventually you'll find yourself finding the right solutions with ease.</p>

<p>Thank you, I guess i need more practice in order to go through the first ones faster and recognize patterns to have time for the more difficult ones :)</p>