How to Pick a Reach School aka toss a bone

<p>So I am kinda in a a hurry and want to apologize ahead of time for being brief, but I was content with staying with my in state school choices, which include UNC, but the more i think about it with time winding down i kinda want to apply to some out of state reaches, i dont really know if there is an answer to this question, but I am just curious as to what "reach" do you think I would have the best chance of getting into. </p>

<p>Here are my average stats :(
28 ACT
3.4 unweighted
3.9 weighted
2 varsity sports captains
2 years of technology internship
-of course I have more but i feel those are the ones that matter most</p>

<p>Now as for the reach schools
-Vanderbilt
-Notre Dame
-John Hopkins
-Cornell
-Emory
-University of Chicago (they have sent me alot of mail if that is special or even matters)</p>

<p>I know applying to any of these is probably a waste of time, but if you were me and were applying to only one reach, which one do you think would give me the best shot? Thanks!</p>

<p>University of Chicago.
However, it really depends on your choice of major.</p>

<p>28 ACT
3.4 unweighted</p>

<p>you are aiming too high with those stats, sorry . It probably would be an utter waste of time. But if you have nothing better to do then try Vanderbilt or Emory.</p>

<p>Your stats are good. (No need for a sad-face.) If you spend much time here on CC, you will see alot of applicants with VERY impressive stats. That is not necessarily the typical applicant, just what is typical for those who post their stats here. I will not suggest which college I feel you should apply to, since I cannot say I have much info on which is best for you. I just want to say that you should absolutely apply to a reach or two. Don't be intimidated... you may be just what they're looking for. Best of Luck!</p>

<p>Either shoot for the one with the lowest stats, or shoot for the one you like most.</p>

<p>Personally, I would say don't waste your time. </p>

<p>Emory's ACT range is 30-33</p>

<p>72% of student had GPAs above 3.75
22% has between a 3.5 and 3.75 </p>

<p>Which means only 6% of students have anything lower than a 3.5 GPA.</p>

<p>Emory is the least selective of the schools you've listed, so I would say that you're aiming too high with those choices.</p>

<p>Take the money you'd spend on the application to one of these reaches and buy a really nice Carolina sweatshirt--you'll be wearing it a lot in the next 4 years in Chapel Hill.</p>

<p>What is it you're looking for in a college that you think a more selective school than UNC might give you, that UNC won't? If you can't answer that question, there isn't much point in fishing around for reach schools based on a match-up of grades and scores alone.</p>

<p>For example, it would make sense to look beyond UNC if you want a strong engineering program, which UNC does not have. Neither does Chicago. If you're looking for some more general quality such as smaller classes or a more geographically diverse student body, then many other schools besides the 6 on your list could fit. If you're looking for more aid than you think UNC will offer, then you shouldn't necessarily be focusing on admission reaches.</p>

<p>UNC is not exactly a safety for your stats. Here are a few private schools that are about as selective as UNC or a bit more so (but not wildly out of range):</p>

<p>Universities
Boston College
Brandeis
Carnegie Mellon (Arts & Sciences, not CS)
University of Rochester</p>

<p>LACs
Colby
Colgate
Davidson (more of a reach than most of the others)
Grinnell
Hamilton
Kenyon
Macalester</p>