How to raise GPA for grad school application.

<p>My GPA is lower than the thresholds of most grad programs I'm looking into so I would like to raise my GPA. I heard that you can take undergrad courses at a local college as a non-degree student. How does this work? Are the new grades added to your transcript and raises the overall GPA?</p>

<p>In most cases, yes - but check with the specific schools you're interested in applying to. Also, they will, of course, note the rigor of the courses you take - piling up a bunch of As in freshman-level survey courses won't be viewed the same way as a number of senior-level courses in your major.</p>

<p>Those courses have to be relevant to your graduate field before they will make any impression on the admissions committee. </p>

<p>I disagree with polarscribe that it will raise your GPA. Your undergraduate college GPA remains fixed once you graduate. Even if you have not yet graduated, check with your college to see whether courses from another college will be factored into your official GPA. Some applications will allow you to calculate your GPA yourself, but some will require the GPA from your undergraduate institution. You have to check the applications. In any case, they WILL see the transcripts from the other school.</p>

<p>If you've already graduated, taking upper level courses in your field and acing them provides <em>another</em> transcript with a higher GPA. It can show the adcoms that you have gotten your academic life in order and that you're ready for more rigorous academics.</p>

<p>If you are still in college, you might want to find a way to delay graduation until you can get strong grades in upper level courses and to raise your GPA over the threshold.</p>

<p>I already graduated. So I guess taking those classes would be a good idea.</p>

<p>I wasn't very clear in my answer above, and Momwaitingfornew explained it better. The grades you earn wouldn't be added to your cumulative GPA, but they would form a new post-baccalaureate GPA that graduate admissions committees would consider in your application. It would help you prove your ability in graduate-level work.</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies. Would it be better if I can take grad-level courses? Also, can I ask those professors who taught new courses for the letters of recommendation? Sorry for bombarding with questions lol.</p>

<p>If you can take grad-level courses and do very well in them, that would be the best option. Those profs would probably be the best source of LORs, as long as you get to know them well and make a positive impression. However, they wouldn't be able to give the best LOR until you'd actually finished their class, in most cases. If there is anyone from undergrad that you'd consider for a LOR, MAKE SURE and keep in contact with them.</p>