<p>(sorry if this is in the wrong forum but it seemed like the best place to post it)
I am very interested in the social sciences and intend on majoring in sociology in college, but my high school does not offer many social science courses that cater to me. I want to try and do research with a professor of sociology over the summer and I will be taking AP Psychology over the summer as well, but is there anything else I can do to show my interests? I want colleges to know I am passionate about this subject and potentially boost my college app.</p>
<p>Anyone? (10 char)</p>
<p>If you are truly “passionate about this subject”, you wouldn’t need to ask how to “show” said passion to “boost [your] college app.”</p>
<p>If you had genuine passion, l you would pursue whatever interested you, not what you think will “boost your app”.</p>
<p>Are your ECs social science related? Like Model UN, JSA, GSA, etc.</p>
<p>my EC’s are student government and tutoring…I applied for Boy’s State this year as well but I am not 100% positive I will be selected. As I stated earlier I want to try and do research over the summer, so I guess that could make up for my non-social science related EC’s (although I’d love to join some). The problem is that my school doesn’t offer things like Model UN, and I think it’s too late to start something like that at my school this year (I would have try next year)</p>
<p>You show aptitude for Sociology by being a top student – period. There’s no pre-sociology milestones that colleges are looking for. They want solid students. What you major in is of no relevance to their decisions generally.</p>
<p>T26E4, I agree and I am trying my hardest by being a top student. I have a huge upward trend, but I am trying to get the most out of high school by trying to find social science programs and organizations. It seems a lot easier for someone who is passionate about, say, math or debate, to express their passion through advanced math classes/competitions or the debate club, respectively. While I know that what I intend on majoring in has little consequence to a school’s decisions, I at least want them to know I am interested and enthusiastic about something to stick out a little bit in the admissions process.</p>
<p>Most colleges don’t factor in “passion” for any ECs or even any ECs and instead only admit based on GPA/scores. Indeed, this idea has taken mythic proportions among HS students.</p>
<p>Only the tippy top ones look at this as an additional factor. Which colleges are you targeting?</p>
<p>Rice, Middlebury, Bowdoin, Berkeley, UCLA and some other top LAC’s</p>
<p>Why do you feel the need to show them you’re interested in sociology? Do what you’re interested in and want to do in high school, not what you think is going to demonstrate certain interests.</p>
<p>Your ECs will come out looking best if you pick them based on interest.</p>