How to start a solar vehicle team

<p>I will be a freshman next year and was wondering how to get this started. I know who to start a student org (signatures, etc) but how would I get funding, materials, etc to build a solar car?</p>

<p>Hmmm. First of you, you can co-found this with the upperclassmen. You wouldn't have sufficient background, connection and resources to do it on your own.</p>

<p>You need an advisor and more than one person before you can actually ask for it, to begin with. A proposal as well.</p>

<p>Funding is not a big problem. Once you have establish an organization, there are student organization funds from the college. Part of your tuition and club fees are part of this funding. </p>

<p>Don't worry how to build them. Solar vehicle competition is there. </p>

<p>Again, get to know your upperclassmen. Get involve with some other automotive / mechanical engineering clubs. Some of them might have started, or are interested in it.</p>

<p>Our school has an SAE club that makes some go-kart like thing, but mostly just senior join for a senior project.</p>

<p>Great. We have SAE club too.
Why don't you ask them why they didn't want to go on with the solar vehicle competition?</p>

<p>Yeah-we used to have something called solar splash 10 years or so ago where you make a solar boat. I'm sure that some of the SAE would join, but they might be too busy to join. No risk in asking though</p>

<p>Actually when you are in college you should risk whatever it takes to accomplish things you want to do. I am serious. lmao</p>

<p>You can't say what they think unless you have asked. And I am sure some SAE members will join you. </p>

<p>However, the critical point is advisor. You need a professor that can be the mentor in this solar vehicle team. However, these years professors are not interested in mentoring students. Rather, many of them turn to work on research only. </p>

<p>But hey, solar vehicle can be a research project too. You and your SAE members have to convince someone. Maybe the guy who run SAE is interested in establishing a team?</p>

<p>:) shoot SAE an email about it</p>

<p>Thanks for the info!</p>