How to transfer into an elite school?

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I am an incoming freshman at a top public school (UCLA). So far, I really like everything about it. However, I have pondered trying to transfer to position myself better for an entrance into finance ( I have heard recruiters are not taking many UCLA students so we will see) and would really like to put myself the best position to do so. However, I don't really know what to aim for. I am a pre-business economics major and would like to pursue business at any other university I possibly transfer to. So I guess I am basically asking is what I need to transfer to schools such as:</p>

<p>Upenn Wharton (did not apply)
Dartmouth (did apply, rejected)
Cornell (did apply, rejected)
and I guess while we are at it:
Yale
MIT (did not apply to either)</p>

<p>I was a good HS student, but nothing exceptional (3.5 UW, 3.8 W, 33 ACT, good ECs), but will this factor in? Also, when is the best time to apply, after freshman year?</p>

<p>Thanks, any advice would be appreciated</p>

<p>gosh, i can't stand threads like these....</p>

<p>Alright, how about you give the school at least a day before trying to get out of it hmm? It's pretty depressing to see a good amount of kids looking to automatically leave their current school without even giving it a moment of their time to see if they actually enjoy it.</p>

<p>Especially when dealing with the "elites" as you're referring to them, DON'T APPLY BASED ON A NAME OR REPUTATION!!!! Honestly, can we stress this enough? It's about FIT to the specific school or program. Have you researched any of the programs at MIT? Cornell? Yale for that matter? or are you interested in leaving your school for the sole purpose of trying to get into a "name" school. </p>

<p>If you honestly want to transfer, then find out which school you fit with best. Research it, dive into it, visit it... show that you have sincere dedication to that program at that university, because as I've already alluded to before, LOTS of kids think "Hmmm... I think I'll apply to Yale just for the name".... the Adcoms will see through you in a heartbeat...</p>

<p>Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "Don't Transfer", but shooting your current school down without even having one days worth might be a little foolish (especially a waste of money for your parents if you are already assured you're going to transfer). </p>

<p>And if you KNOW 100% you want to transfer, then find the program that fits you best at another school.. do your homework, research it up, and contact them. Discuss your interest to transfer and I'm sure someone will help you. It's always wise to get this knowledge ahead of time so you can prepare a class schedule that can transfer and has the correct prereqs, ya know? And it will always help in your favor if you join ECs that are program related or something, anything, that shows dedication to your program/intended major/career.</p>

<p>anyway, sorry if I sounded angry or something, I'm not, but still, I'd take my advice seriously. (and grade wise, OBVIOUSLY shoot for the best you can POSSIBLY do, as you'll be up against the best.)</p>

<p>Good luck broski</p>

<p>Get great grades and take challenging classes and up your ACT or try the SAT. Your best chance will be for junior transfer. For Wharton, make sure you take their prereqs.</p>

<p>Thanks for the opinion Brand New, I think I may have worded my question (which was much rambling) in not the best way. I mean, I think I will like my current school, and I plan to have as much fun and party as much as humanly possible for however long I am there. I also figured that if I could transfer to a "higher ranked" school that would give me easier access to a finance related job in the future, I should definitely pursue it, and even if I don't transfer (which does seem likely, as I do anticipate liking my current school and it is a great deal), then I will have kick-ass grades there. I can definitely see how you might think I am giving up on my current school, but I really just want to explore my options. Thanks for the advice, I will do more research.</p>

<p>hmom5, thanks for the advice. I didn't think about upping my ACT or SAT, would I need something close to perfect since I will be older? I will definitely look into prereqs as well, I hadn't really thought about that.</p>

<p>but in all honestly, "partying as much as humanly possible" and transferring to a "higher ranked" school does not mix. </p>

<p>prestige isn't a good enough reason for transfer ad coms.</p>

<p>Yeah, I don't think "partying as much as humanly possible" is the right perspective for "elite" schools. </p>

<p>To be a successful transfer, you're going to need much more than a high GPA. Getting straight A's is great, but it's expected and the norm. What's going to set you apart are the awards/EC's/intangibles/essays that are going to require A LOT of commitment. I wouldn't be surprised if you had no time to party if your really serious about getting accepted to those schools. </p>

<p>And I don't think BrandNew was talking about partying when she said you might like your new school. You might meet a lot of great people, professors, and end up loving the atmosphere. UCLA's community is a great one.</p>

<p>IMO, along with gpa and a solid reason to transfer, instructor LORs are very important for transfers. Try to get into some smaller classes where you can get to know the prof well, and be a stand out student.</p>

<p>^I would wholly agree on that. When I look at kids getting into Ivies and other elite schools many seem to have some serious recs from deans of academic departments, to writers, heck I heard of one kid who transferred from NYU to Columbia and got the president John Sexton to write him a letter. I mean honestly if that won't get you in then I don't know what will.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I completely disagree with this advice. When you're applying for jobs, no one will care if your college was a good "fit", they're going to care if your college has sent them intelligent and capable graduates in the past. This is more true in professions like law and less true in professions like engineering. </p>

<p>The prestige of the college that one goes to is hugely important, even outside of a specific profession. If you went to MIT and apply at a job unrelated to your major, people will ASSUME that you are smart unless they see evidence otherwise. Likewise, if you are from a school without a strong reputation, people will base their assessment of you with their personal experience.</p>

<p>al6200, youre right, every kid says "i want to go to harvard because it's harvard". that name can carry you anywhere.</p>

<p>yet, you're missing what the point was. I'm talking about the admissions committee. if you come off as another air head kid who wants to go to an elite school just for a name, then they'll look at you as someone who shows no dedication to their craft or major, and as someone who shows complete lack of thorough understanding and appreciation for a strong education and what that school is actually famous FOR.<br>
they KNOW they have their name, but how did they GET their name? for being strong in their educational institution.. thats what the adcoms want to see you understanding, how serious you are about your EDUCATION. </p>

<p>but i agree youre right with what you said, it's just not what i was talking about. im an example of that too tho... i chose cornell over my small state school because i had multiple conversations with graduates of the small state school who said when going for job interviews, people would ask if their school was a community college..... i didn't want to put up with that....</p>

<p>and yeah, as remy said before, umm i wasn't really talking about partying... lol i was talking about the classes you'll experience and the teachers you'll have rather than the parties you'll go to....</p>

<p>To the OP: you need to show the admissions officers how you can benefit college X by going there. Remember, you are an investment to them, so they want to know that they can get a return on you going to the school.</p>

<p>Hey Macgruber, </p>

<p>but how does one do that? I know how to show the college that it can benefit me. but how do I show them that I can benefit the college? by showing i'm a good fit? or do I have to say like I won some national math competition and would bolster their math dept.....cuz i haven't won anything like that :/</p>

<p>bumpityyyyy</p>