How would you interpret this?

<p>This statement is on college website in regards to merit scholarships..SAT optional school.</p>

<p>"Students who wish to be considered for competitive academic scholarships but do not wish to submit test scores should understand that they will be competing with other applicants who do submit test scores that are minimally 1800 in all three test areas."</p>

<p>Sounds like they are suggesting that you do indeed need to send scores in...how would you take the above?</p>

<p>This sounds like a test-optional school. Many test optional schools REQUIRE test scores for merit consideration. It sounds like this school doesn't require them, but those who have submitted test scores (and have good ones) will have an edge.</p>

<p>Actually, the wording sounds a bit ominous to me -- it says "Students . . should understand" which is language a parent uses to issue a warning. "You can sleep late but you should understand that I am not driving you in if you miss the bus" kind of stuff. </p>

<p>I read this as 1) you don't have to take the SAT but 2) everyone else that does will be ahead of you in this competition. I'd send the scores.</p>

<p>I agree with posts # 2 & 3. </p>

<p>You may be between a rock and a hard place. If your child is a viable candidate based on grades alone, s/he may be out of the running for merit scholarships, because the school will have no baseline to evaluate your child other than grades. They are telling you up front that those who do receive merit aid have SAT scores on average have scores of at least 1800 (600 in each section).</p>

<p>If you want merit consideration, then you will have to submit SAT scores. If you submit SAT scores, then they will be used as for admissions purposes. IF the SAT scores are problematic for your child, then there could be a possibility that s/he may not be admitted based on this added piece of information.</p>

<p>I think you need to sit with your child and determine, what is it worth. While ultimately, you would like to receive an acceptance and merit money, which one are you willing to chance? If your child does not get merit $$ can you financially swing it?</p>