HS Senior taking 300-Level University Course?

<p>Next year I'll be taking a 300-Level Latin course at a University (I rather not say the name). I'll be a senior in HS. How hard will this class be? What are 300-level classes like? Thanks</p>

<p>It depends on the university and class</p>

<p>I took a 300 level course (statics, which is an engineering course) at a local univ. It was tough but not out of this world hard or anything. Ask the professor about the pass rate and ask some students who have taken the course. I got an A in mine but my professor said A's were rare. It's really up to how much effort you can put in.</p>

<p>300-level course are graduate courses at some institutions and sophomore-level courses at others. The course number doesn't mean anything outside of the context of the specific university.</p>

<p>I understand that you may not want to share the university for reasons of anonymity, but can you tell us a bit about the course? Who is the course targeted at? What background does it expect? How selective is the university? (This will make a HUGE difference!) Is there a syllabus online somewhere that outlines the workload? (You could check the course catalog, the department website and the personal homepage of the professor.)</p>

<p>Syllabi of this or other courses taught by the same professor, or reviews of the professor's past courses (e.g. ratemyprofessor.com) should give you a good idea of what to expect.</p>

<p>You need to look at the specific university. Look at the departments web page. It should say which classes are lower-division, upper-division, graduate, etc...</p>

<p>If it is a graduate or upper division class, look at what the prerequisites are, and look at what courses someone in that major would typically take before taking that course.</p>

<p>If it is first semester Latin (or if you've taken extensive amounts of Latin before, the 2nd, or 3rd, etc...) in lower-division than you should be okay (assuming you're comfortable with college level work).</p>

<p>If it is a graduate level course (unlikely since you probably are doing this with at least some sort of advisement), then you probably want to talk to the professor, and see if you are absolutely ready for the class.</p>

<p>It all depends on the school and you.</p>

<p>Is the school a Top 30 school?
Are the 300 level classes junior level classes?</p>

<p>Are you willing to put in hours and hours and hours of outside classwork for this class?</p>

<p>The course level means nothing outside of the department--even within a university there is great discrepancy.</p>

<p>A 300 course at my business school is introductory. A 300 spanish course can be a 6th semester class. </p>

<p>If you can't provide the department and the school, then you will need to look at the undergraduate catalog yourself and determine what a 300 lvl course entails in the latin dept at your school.</p>