HS student in China want to study in US for a year.

<p>My niece will be in high school next year in China. She wants to spend one year in US to learn English. Any way I can get her here. Thanks.</p>

<p>There are many programs that bring International h.s. students to the US -- and they vary in cost, requirements, etc. A good place to start looking into the different possibilities is</p>

<p><a href="http://www.highschoolprogramsabroad.com/search.cfm%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.highschoolprogramsabroad.com/search.cfm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>are you considering having her live with you? could she get a student visa and attend your local high school?</p>

<p>We have had 2 foreign exchange students that were family members, and are about to have a third. They need to come through an approved exchange program or else they will have to pay tuition, at our district. Usually districts have policies about how many and what kid of exchange students they will accept, and all that I ever heard about came through organizations. If money is an issue, some have scholarships, such as the Rotary Int'l. Contact it to find out what you will have to do.</p>

<p>My thoughts were that since this "exchange student" is a relative, her district wouldn't charge any tuition or anything. It would be worth checking. I wouldn't go in and say she was an exchange student. I would just say she was now living with me and enrolling in the local public school. I know that my niece or nephew could live with me for a year and attend the local school. She would most likely need to be declared her nieces guardian temporarily, but that can't be that big of a deal. I think as long as you have a relationship, you don't need to go through any type of an official program -- at least none of the numerous places I have lived.</p>

<p>Of course, the OP may be looking for an official program -- I was just offering another way.</p>

<p>The problem is getting the visa for a high school student without prior enrollment, etc. College students have no problems, but usually high school students do unless they come through a certified exchange program. We tried this route, and getting the visa was also a major obstacle. In order to get it, you have to be accepted and pre-enrolled, (as in the college type of app process) etc., which the high schools don't do.</p>

<p>My high school hosts one or two foreign eleventh graders each year through the [url="<a href="http://www.assist-inc.org/%22%5DASSIST%5B/url"&gt;http://www.assist-inc.org/"]ASSIST[/url&lt;/a&gt;] program. I think it's pretty competitive, but she should definitely look into it.</p>

<p>I think it is hard for her to get the visa. If she can come here, the school will accept here. I'd like to have her to live with me since it will be hard for her to adjust as teen and girl and only one child at home.</p>

<p>It seems
<a href="http://www.highschoolprogramsabroad.com/search.cfm%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.highschoolprogramsabroad.com/search.cfm&lt;/a>
is for the students in US.</p>

<p>Well, seeing as how your niece is a family member, it might be possible for you to get temp. guardianship and enroll her before she gets to the US. Then after enrollment, most schools will be happy to provide a letter affirming that your niece is in fact enrolled. You can then use that letter to obtain a visa and other stuff. If you can't enroll her because you need an I-94 or something then you could possibly get a letter stating the school's intent to enroll her and use that?</p>

<p>Having just returned from China and speaking to a number of people there, it is getting increasingly difficult to obtain a visa from the US. For students, and family members in particular, the best chance is to be part of some formal exchange program as others have described above.</p>