Huntsman: Question and Chances

<p>Hi, all. Usually I post under a different username, but to protect my anonymity I'm using an alter ego. I've just discovered the Huntsman program and I have a few questions about it. I plan on visiting Penn soon and learning more there, but for now I'd love to hear from you!</p>

<ol>
<li>How much freedom do you have to take classes you're interested in that aren't necessarily tied into the requirements and your concentration?</li>
<li>How easy/difficult is it to obtain a minor or a second Wharton concentration?</li>
<li>How many classes do you typically take each semester?</li>
<li>(To those currently in the Program) What would you say you like most about Huntsman? Is there anything you dislike? What's the community like?</li>
</ol>

<p>Also, if you would so oblige, I'd love to hear your opinions on my chances for the program. I understand it's basically a crapshoot, but I have a bit of a dilemma. As an athlete, I must commit to my college-of-choice this summer. At the moment, Huntsman is my first choice, but it is the only college/program I'm looking at that, basically, I can't get a likely letter for. My second choice right now is Yale. The way the process works, coaches really only have significant pull for ED/EA applicants. If I apply to Huntsman early, and am denied/deferred, then I effectively lose the pull at Yale, and could potentially end up at neither Huntsman nor Yale. Therefore, I'm asking you the following: if you had to guess, assuming solid essays and recommendations (typical of a Huntsman-caliber applicant), would you say it is more-likely-than-not that I could be admitted to Huntsman, or no? I'm willing to risk the scenario above if I know I have a very legitimate shot, but if it's only so-so I'd contemplate applying EA to Yale and RD to Huntsman. Finally, what are your opinions on retaking my ACT? I took both the ACT and SAT once each and I should be able to bring ACT up to a 34/5 without significant prep if it's worth it.</p>

<p>General
~HS Grad Year: 2011
~Gender: Female
~Race: Caucasian
~Location: Philadelphia</p>

<p>Academics
~School Type: Small, highly-competitive private
~Classes: All Honors/AP when available
~GPA: 3.93 UW (currently)
~SAT: 2220 (720M, 740V, 760W, 12E)
~ACT: 33 (34M, 34R, 30S, 34En, 12E)
~SAT IIs: Predicting 730+ Lit, 750+ Spanish (Reading) and USH, 800 Math II
~APs: Predicted 5s in APUSH, AP Lit (Junior); taking AP Span Lit, AP Bio, AP Calc BC, AP Stat, and potentially AP Span Lang and AP Psych (Senior)</p>

<p>ECs (listing significant ones and/or those with some connection to Huntsman)
~Internationally-ranked athlete (withholding sport for anonymity), ~15 hr/week
~Model UN (President, Gavel Winner, involved 9-12)
~Mock Trial (Best Advocate awards, inv. 9-12)
~Debate Team (President, regional awards, [school's program just starting] inv. 9-12)
~Amnesty International (President, inv. 9-12)
~School Interfaith Religious Coalition/Discussion Group (President, inv. 11-12)
~International Schools Partnership (Sec/Treas, inv. 9-12 [vague for anon])
~Special Olympics (9-12)</p>

<p>Summer
~Congressional Internship
~Study Abroad in Spain (1 month)
~Economics at Stanford
~Sport-related activities</p>

<p>"Hooks":
~Recruited Athlete (have unofficial verbal confirmation on likely Wharton admission)
~Legacy
~Local (?)
~Faculty Child</p>

<p>Honestly I don't think you would do well in the Huntsman program. It's pretty much the academic cream of the crop for Wharton/IR students.</p>

<p>That's definitely not true... However, most that I know personally have more international experience</p>

<p>I'm still in high school, so I'm no expert here, but the ECs seem a bit less business-focused than those of many of the Wharton applicants I've seen on CC. Then again, at this level it's probably extremely holistic, so I definitely wouldn't count you out. I'd say you have a solid shot. By no means should the scores disqualify you, but they most likely won't push you over either. I can't comment on the value of those "hooks" you have listed, but together they probably count for something. Re: the ACT, it's probably fine, take it if you're confident you'll do better maybe? Hope that helps!</p>

<p>Thanks Jersey, TickyTock, and Joe!</p>

<p>Tickytock: Since your location's listed as Penn, I was wondering if you could elaborate on what kind of "international experience" the Huntsman students you know have...just living different places, or are there programs they typically attend, etc?</p>

<p>I'd also like to add one bullet to the resume that I forgot above. One of my strengths should be the essays; I've won a few national essay contests and today I just found out I won another ($10,000 bucks, woohoo!). Also, will be NMSF, but nothin' special there.</p>

<p>Anyone with more imput on the scores? Both were taken cold, so it's very likely I could bring them up with prep. I'm just not sure if the time/effort required would really change anything re: admissions.</p>

<p>OP ok listen up, i personally think u have a great shot for huntsman. Truthfully. But i would suggest that in ur essays u display interest in the international studies and business parts while showing ur interst in penn. i got in this year to huntsman and i too didnt have any 'international experience' but i think Model UN and another such EC. ur Model UN, congress internship and Spain study abroad ARE EXCELLENT for huntsman. Bring about ur spain experiences in ur essay and i think u have a reallly good shot. btw which is a better choice for u- only wharton or yale? </p>

<p>also, i think huntsman ed definitely coz this year they accepted 30 out of the total 50 students early so u can see the increase in chances!</p>

<p>Thanks akki, that's exactly the type of advice I was looking for. I'll make sure to do that. To answer your question, I'm not positive, though I'd say I'm leaning Yale (only slightly, at the moment). Also, congrats on getting in! </p>

<p>Still interested in hearing from anyone currently at Penn/in Huntsman who could answer any of the first questions! Thank you!</p>

<p>Huntsman: (see 1st post)</p>

<ol>
<li>freedom - don't go there: If you don't want what the program offers, don't bother</li>
<li>forget it; you'll have no extra time</li>
<li>six classes per semester</li>
<li>tons of work, intense, amazing credentials, cream of the crop</li>
</ol>

<p>Ok limabean are yu in huntsman? Ok CCanonymous I think limabeans full of ****.</p>

<p>I have a friend who's a freshman at huntsman and from talking to him and the program director this is what I gather (I may be slightly wrong but overall correct)-</p>

<p>1) Since the program is pretty difficult the chances of taking optional classes are pretty limited BUT since there are quite a few courses that fulfil both the CAS and wharton requirements, there is scope to taking a few additional classes which are not part of the program. My friend is currently taking a course in indian music. Also, I would just like to let you know that in the requirements itself there's a verrry wide array of choices and there are certain requirements wherein u can take random classes which are not actually part of the program but which will give u credits. Hence, u can take classes that aren't tied into the program. My friend is soon gonna take a small course in interior design or something. Also, u shud know that the classes have a lot to do with ur target language and ur proficiency in it! So I mean if ur gonna choose a target language which basically ur VERY good at u don't need to devote too much time to learning it and thus can take additional classes. Soo, there are manyy ways to take classes that are not tied up with business and international studies and the great part is that the program is made in a way that they encourage u to seek new skills. Obviously, despite all this the bulk of ur classes will be in the business and international studies part.</p>

<p>2) Double concentration in wharton is easy as long as ur ready to put in the work its easily manageable. I would recommend u check out the 'student profiles' which are there on the huntsman website ull realise that most of them actually have double concentrations and some even have minors (math minor is very popular in this course).</p>

<p>3) While normally (if I'm not mistaken), penn students take 4-5 classes in the freshman year, huntsman students take 4-6. 4 is necessary but often students take 5 or 6 to cover their requirements. However, again the course choice and target language is important here. If u take courses that fulfill both wharton and cas requirements )such as econ 101, history 107 [which is compulsory for all huntsman students]) u can do 4-5 like every other student however people tend to take one extra course often. Again, if ur tatget language is something ur great at u can manage with extra classes as u won't have to work too much for the language class but if ur not too good at the language or learning it from scratch (as my friend is doing) u will be taking fewer classes. So it all depends.</p>

<p>4) Obviously I cannot answer this question accurately but my friend is loving it there and feels that its great that all people in this program live together coz then they have specific activities together and bond easily. Also, I have spoken to a few people who will be joining me this fall and they seem wonderful. Like seriously. It all depends on what kinda people join next year for u ofcourse but then like any college program it will have its pros and cons regarding the people. He just told me that in huntsman its possible that at first ull have fewer frnds (though the few is also a large number) as u won't be living in the quad but he added that the friends will become closer to u faster as u will live together and basically do a lot of activities together so that's what he said. Also, as I said all the people in my course seem really nice. I haven't spoken a lot to the rd people but the ed people are chiller :)</p>

<p>one point of clarification, huntsman does not give a degree in IR, international studies is more of studying languages/culture than political science</p>

<p>yeah disgradius is correct that its international studies and not IR but then again 80% of the requirements are IR based so its kind of the same thing. correct me if im wrong pls.</p>

<p>I'm not in huntsman but a number of my friends are. Huntsman is more nuanced. Actual IR is more of a political science than cultural study. Huntsman is based heavily on a language/cultural component. Of course, this probably helps a bit if you want to do IR but its local, whereas IR is more theoretical and broad. </p>

<p>You can probably squeeze IR courses in but they are not the same thing.</p>

<p>If I were you, I would want to ask someone whether doing the Huntsman program was going to be consistent with your athletic training and practicing responsibilities. Even at an Ivy, being a varsity athlete is a huge time commitment that other students don't have, and it affects course selection, schedules, etc. I have no idea what experience they have with athletes in Huntsman, but it could be bad, or they could be not anxious to find out. That applies both to the Huntsman faculty AND to your coach.</p>

<p>another point, I'm not sure if the coach's pull works for the dual degree programs. They go through a different and separate selection process. They're also pretty clear they want a specific type of student (and a fairly academic one at that) rather than the well rounded student body of the university in general (which is where the coach's pull comes in).</p>

<p>I don't know that much about Huntsman, but I think I read somewhere that people in the program typically don't have time for varsity sports. And you should be really interested in IS/biz and how you would apply that, and not just in it for the prestige.</p>

<p>But you have really legit EC's to make up for your average scores, so I think you have a good shot at SAS/Wharton, but I'm not totally sure about Huntsman. And for Huntsman, it's very useful if you apply ED, but you have to be absolutely sure.</p>

<p>Wow, I don't check this too often so it was great to see all this helpful information since I've last logged in! </p>

<p>Akki: Thank you so much for that long post, really useful information!
Disgradius: Thanks for that clarification, that makes sense. Lucky for me, I'd say that I personally am more interested in IS than IR, so I think it fits well. I've been focusing recently on the development going on in Latin America; from what you know from your friends or from classes you've taken, would you say that IS (and I guess the Area Studies component of Huntsman) would envelop topics like that?
JHS and qazplm: Those are very good points. Fortunately, I've been able to speak to quite a few people and learn about balancing sports/Huntsman (if I were to get in, that is!) and now know of a few varsity athletes who have been in the program over the years. I think it will be challenging, but the students I was told about have been pretty successful.</p>

<p>Recent developments from me: Got my SAT 2s and retaken ACT scores back:
800 Math 2
750 Lit
750 USH
760 Span Reading
36 ACT
Also, probably adding two dual-enrollment classes to my senior schedule (still picking them out though). To those who responded before, or anyone else who'd be so kind, do you think this will make a significant impact over the previous scores or would you say my chances are basically the same? </p>

<p>(Last question, I promise): I recently learned that Huntsman has the option for Spanish speakers to target Portuguese, because of a specific course at Penn designed to enable that transition (Portuguese for Spanish Speakers). I was wondering if anyone has taken this opportunity, knows anyone who has, or has any opinions on this?
At this point I consider myself pretty fluent in Spanish, and because of AP credit I should place out of both 210 and 220, so I think most of the classes I would be taking would be more cultural or literary rather than grammatical. How beneficial would you say these courses can be in terms of better understanding the culture of the Spanish world (versus, say, an area studies course), and would you say this outweighs the chance to become fluent in a new (albeit similar) language?</p>

<p>Thank you all again, I really value your responses :)</p>

<p>@ccanonymous I imagine it would fit well although, not sure if the issue you're interested in is directly addressed by the program. Not sure how much more current events are discussed (as in, it <em>may</em> be more of a sidenote). At the very least, Wharton, I believe already has courses on development in latin america (may be under bpub, or perhaps another department, not sure, check course list).</p>

<p>If you're fluent enough in spanish, you could do fine with just a wharton degree as most of the policy or development type issues will already be covered. It may be just that huntsman does this better (not sure, since everyone has things tailored slightly differently). It may also help more with networking into opportunities as most traditional whartonites tend to take the path of banking, consulting, or the oh so glorious buy side.</p>

<p>Do note again, that I'm fairly skeptical that athletic coaches can bring people into dual degree programs. At least, I don't know of any (admittedly, I'm with a more nerdy bunch :P)</p>

<p>A few things...(I'm in Wharton, not Huntsman, but have lots of Huntsman friends)</p>

<p>Portuguese: my friend started out as a Spanish target and switched to Portuguese...I think they paid for him to go to Brazil last summer to get his Portuguese up to speed. He seems to like it. However, you have to know you're doing it because you have to take FOUR courses in your TARGET language. So if you started out with Spanish and then switched to Portuguese, the Spanish classes won't count for anything. This happened to my friend (who is going to be a junior and abroad this upcoming semester)</p>

<p>Sports: my friend did crew this past year, and scheduling can be a ***** when you have a lot of specific, required courses as in Huntsman. You have to schedule your classes <em>around</em> sports practice.</p>

<p>Also, you really don't have time or space to take a lot of extra courses that don't count towards the degrees or perhaps relevant minors/2nd concentration.</p>

<p>Someone said that the huntsman students he/she knows have a lot more international experience...and I would agree. Many have lived in multiple countries or studied abroad. Of course, some have not. Usually, though, the ones who don't have extensive international experience went to elite high schools. There are a few really random people with minimal experience not from elite schools...I think.</p>

<p>Also, while you do get a dual degree, IS is actually a major they made up specifically for the Huntsman program (you can't do it if you're not in Huntsman). I know some people (even in the program) take issue with that. And the bureaucracy. And Inge (the advisor) can apparently be a ***** if you get on her bad side.</p>

<p>I honestly cannot even tell you how perfect you would be for the Huntsman program. It's certainly not an easy program to get in to, even for the strongest applicants (I know 2 people with 2400s who were rejected), but the exposure you get to international affairs, combined with an economics/business education will set you up for just about any career.</p>

<p>Plus, employers love dual degree students.</p>