I can't fill out the FAFSA...

<p>Let me explain my situation here... </p>

<p>I am currently a senior in high school. I am a Canadian citizen and have been living in Florida for almost two years (since July 2006). I was accepted at every school I applied to (pretty good ones too), but will most likely be going to UF (University of Florida). </p>

<p>Cost (low; in-state) is a big factor in UF being my choice, though it's not a bad school IMO, and it's fairly inexpensive. I am fairly sure that I would qualify for some need-based financial aid, if only I could apply. However, my family has been having some trouble getting our permanent resident status (Green Card). This is due to a combination of misunderstandings and abnormally long waiting periods. Accordingly, I haven't had a SSN in the past two years (you need a Green Card to get a SSN).</p>

<p>Unfortunately, both documents are required for non-citizens to fill out the FAFSA and the CSS PROFILE. Nobody in my family except my father has been able to have a job for the past two years, and it doesn't look like I can apply for financial aid this year.</p>

<p>My question to CC is, is there some way I can make my financial situation known to UF without the CSS PROFILE or the FAFSA?</p>

<p>Thank you.</p>

<p>I would suggest writing a letter to the Financial Aid department and explain the situation. If you can, try to arrange a face-to-face meeting with them, that would be better.</p>

<p>You should certainly talk to them but I doubt they will be able to do much if you are not eligible for FAFSA. The reason is that UF is a State University. Some private schools have large endowments they can use for financial aid. With State schools the majority of the financial aid they offer is federal aid. Grants such as Pell, ACG, SEOG are federal. Many of the student loans and all the government subsidized loans such as Perkins and Stafford are federal. Work Study is federal. All federal aid requires you to be eligible for FAFSA. UF cannot give you federal funds if you are not eligible for them. They do not have any leeway there.</p>

<p>You are in an unfortunate situation -- but you are not the only one. Getting a green card is not easy, and many kids are in the same position you are.</p>

<p>Without a green card, you are considered an international student -- and UF does not give FA to international students. From their website (<a href="http://www.admissions.ufl.edu/intl/cost.html):%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.admissions.ufl.edu/intl/cost.html):&lt;/a> </p>

<p>"The university does not award financial assistance to undergraduate international students."</p>

<p>You also need to check on the residency requirements -- the UF website clearly states that they require you to be a US citizen or permanent resident in order to qualify for in-state residency (UF</a> Admissions)</p>

<p>"Florida statute requires the claimant (the person claiming residency) to be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien student "</p>

<p>There are exceptions to the in-state residency requirement of US citizen/green card holder -- "I am a dependent person and my parent or legal guardian has maintained legal residence in Florida for at least 12 months.", but I would clarify that it applies to you if neither of your parents is a US citizen/green card holder.</p>

<p>Now is the time to figure all of this out, so you can make plans for what colleges you should apply to. Don't wait and just hope that it all works out.</p>