I don't want my guidance counselor to LAUGH at me when I want to apply to Harvard

<p>Hi everyone, I want to apply to Harvard but am not sure if I even have a chance. I really don’t want the people in my school’s guidance office to laugh at me if I apply. What do you think my chances are?!</p>

<p>High School: Public
High School Type: only a few kids go to top schools
GPA - Unweighted: 3.95
GPA - Weighted: 4.5585 (max 4.66)
Class Rank: 3
Class Size: 571</p>

<p>I only had one B (in an honors class) until this year. I am taking 7 AP classes (Latin, Spanish, English, Government, Biology, Economics, Stats) for my senior year, and will have a B for the first 9 weeks in AP Spanish and possibly a B for the first nine weeks in AP Statistics (interesting, because I got an A in AP Calc). Other than that I have all As. Will the Bs ruin my chances?!</p>

<p>Scores:</p>

<p>SAT I Math: 800
SAT I Critical Reading: 770
SAT I Writing: 730
SAT II Literature: 760
SAT II World History: 750
AP US History: 5
AP English Language: 5</p>

<p>Extracurriculars:</p>

<p>Significant Extracurriculars: Play in a major youth symphony orchestra and have won awards on my rather unordinary instrument (sorry, want to keep it confidential) and first chair
Youth and Government: Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, short essay about being the only girl for a while
Marching Band (Pom Pon Squad Captain)
Ballet- principal roles at competitive studio
Mock Trial- leader
National Honors Society- Secretary
Moot Court Competition- finalist</p>

<p>Ok I KNOW these aren’t really sports but I have Varsity letters in: Marching Band and Academic Games</p>

<p>Volunteer/Service Work: Play instrument for local events, charitable organizations, at churches, Volunteer through national honors society, </p>

<p>I started a memorial charity</p>

<p>Honors and Awards: National Merit commended, Highest Honor Roll,Music competition awards (1 major national competition), Marching band competition awards, various local awards</p>

<p>College Summer programs: Brown pre-college, Carnegie Mellon University (got an A in a credited World History Class)</p>

<p>No legacy status </p>

<p>I have also experienced a tragedy in my life that will make a great essay on how I have overcome adversity. </p>

<p>Any suggestions?!</p>

<p>You have a reasonable amount of chance such that you should definitely apply. Your music involvement sounds very interesting.</p>

<p>What is your race?</p>

<p>um…Are you kidding me? If your GC would laugh at you for applying to Harvard, I imagine he/she will faint as application deadline approaches.</p>

<p>You have a good chance. Apply.</p>

<p>Thank you guys! Please keep chancing :slight_smile:
I am a “European-American” (white :slight_smile:
It’s not so much that my GC WILL laugh at me, but only a few people from my school have ever gone ivy league. I honestly overheard a conversation between two of my friend’s parents last year about how ridiculous it was that I wanted to go to any ivy league school.</p>

<p>haha that’s unsupportive. no one in my school’s ever gone to an ivy…but then again I’m an int’l. But yeah you seem to have a good enough chance that’s worth going for.</p>

<p>haha if you’re int’l you should be fine :)</p>

<p>You are certainly within Harvard’s applicant range. If you are an “average” Ivy applicant, which you are, you are very competitive for almost every other school in the country. There is no reason to doubt that you should apply to Harvard.</p>

<p>Your friends’ parents aren’t qualified predictors of your admissions prospects.</p>

<p>ivygirl: My I ask a frank question?</p>

<p>Are you serious in that you think that your academic performance and SAT scores make you a laughable applicant? Or are you fishing for compliments?</p>

<p>Really. You know what your percentiles are in your test scores. Use some of that analytical ability and judge yourself.</p>

<p>you have a strong application lol, I hope that boosted your self esteem.</p>

<p>ditto to what T26E4 said.</p>

<p>Sorry guys, I think I’ve heard too many stories about people with 2400 SATs and 4.0s getting rejected! A lot of the people around me have been very discouraging, and so I’ll just have to suck it up and believe in myself. How cheesy is that?! For real though</p>

<p>Your GPA, rank, and test scores are all well within range for Harvard but just keep in mind what you’re talking about here. H A R V A R D ;)</p>

<p>Reach, but you have a shot nonetheless.</p>

<p>Yes, you have as good a shot as anyone. (Well, as <em>most</em> people. Obv. a double legacy URM athlete has a better shot than you… but with your stats it’s certainly worth applying.)</p>

<p>No guys, he has no shot whatsoever. Gonna have to settle for community college with an SAT score like that…</p>

<p>alright guys now I feel like an insecure flubadub. I’m sorry if I was having second thoughts! My only chance is to attach a resume with all my ECs I think. Does anyone know how/what I do with my resume when I send in the application? Do I label it “additional essay” or something?</p>

<p>P.S. ishanz my MOTHER teaches at community college (haha seriously)</p>

<p>^^I think you can submit the resume as the “additional info” section…</p>

<p>Thanks! I kind of figured that was where it went, but wanted to double check. Any other suggestions?!</p>

<p>You’ve got a great chance at getting in! How are you handling 7 AP courses, I’m very VERY curious about that. 7 is crazy!!! That’s, correct me if i’m wrong, equal to 21 college hours in a semester, right? But yeah, you seem really driven, and don’t listen to those pricks telling you you have no shot, you’ve got one, go for it! :)</p>

<p>ha thanks! The classes have been quite a challenge. My teachers are very heavy on busy work and for some odd reason 4 of my teachers are new to AP classes. They’re making everything confusing and are under the illusion that AP students have no life. Still, I just try to do part of my homework in school. There have been quite a few all nighters though! I would not recommend it…finals are going to be quite the experience :)</p>

<p>ouch 7 aps. i’m taking 6, though its not as bad as i thought it would be…</p>