<p>I’ve had my Bosch for a little over a year. It’s been fine. We really like how quiet it is. That is the key difference between this one and our old Kenmores and Whirlpools over the years. I sometimes rinse the dishes before putting them in and haven’t noticed a smell–hope that doesn’t change now that I’m aware of a potential issue!</p>
<p>I never rinse; I figure if it can handle a frozen pizza it can handle anything I leave on my plate. Never noticed a smell.</p>
<p>
I second this. I have a maytag cooktop and will never ever buy Maytag again. The knobs for turning the burners on and off are “piddly little plastic” and break very easily. We are half way through breaking our 2nd set of four in 4 years. (would be more except we move the unbroken knobs from the less used burners to the more frequently used burners). And it is just my husband and I and we are not exactly cooking 5-course meals and using every burner every day! Our previous cooktop was over 30 years old and it’s knobs had never had to be replaced. Pathetic. Never again for me too!</p>
<p>Bosch here, again! Love how quiet it is–the only minus was that during installation, the water lines (?) run at the front, vs the old Kenmore where they were located at the rear–maybe it is just how lines were installed by builder when house was built 10 years ago, I don’t know. No complaints so far w/the Bosch and I did a lot of research; number 1 priority was quiet and good cleaning features. I was less concerned with a lot of the bells and whistles that so many offer. Do your own research and esp ask a lot of people-neighbors, friends, etc. That helped me decide-good luck!</p>
<p>I love my Miele. Mostly, I love the sliding tray for flatware. I think it comes out cleaner than in machines where you put the flatware in a basket. Also, the Miele is very quiet. I did research and found that Miele and Bosch were the most quiet of all machines.</p>
<p>Another “never a Maytag” person here. They used to be good but are not anymore.</p>
<p>Love my Bosch so far - I can’t even tell when it’s running. Hope it doesn’t get the circuit board issue.</p>
<p>The gentleman at the appliance store said the actually function better when you don’t pre-rinse - something about enzymes blah blah. I was an obsessive pre-rinser, and I don’t do it anymore (did not join any sort of support group either, I managed to stop all on my own!) It cleans the dishes - apparently, what dishwashers are supposed to do.</p>
<p>I do not have an odor. There is the food-catchy basket thing at the bottom of the dishwasher you are supposed to empty out now and then.</p>
<p>We have had exceptional luck with Whirlpool(they also make kenmore). We have chosen a middle-of-the-road model for features, but have been very pleased. When is possible we try to buy as American as we can. We try to keep Americans working.</p>
<p>I have a 12 year old Asko which I LOVE; found water coming from underneath once, but the source was not the dishwasher. I love the quiet and the stainless interior.</p>
<p>I also have a Bosch which I like but like PackMom, it does have that weird smell under exactly the same circumstances and my bottom rack does get too full of bowls because they fit in awkwardly. </p>
<p>I still like it though and I think the salesman told me that the way it was built, it couldn’t leak on the floor even if something went wrong with it. The old Amana dishwasher I was replacing had leaked on the hardwood floor and made two floorboards swell up. Incidentally, a friend of mine advised me to wait for a few months before repairing the floor because it might recover when it dried thoroughly. Sure enough, it almost went back to normal.</p>
<p>^^We just had a refrigerator do this to hardwood floors-insurance claims rep told us the same thing–wait a couple of months and it may “heal” itself! We are so hopeful–do not want to have to go thru refinishing hardwood floors at this time. It has been about a month and we have noticed improvement.</p>
<p>I have the F and P dishdrawers and love them. May I suggest however that if you’re trying to save money, check out ‘scratch and dents’, very often you can get a great deal if you’re willing to buy floor models and products that sometimes have barely noticable dings. You may have to ask if any are available, but the savings can be amazing. </p>
<p>Also, if you’re doing homework check out Applianceadvisor.com and <a href=“Explore All Home Forum Discussions | Houzz(they%5B/url%5D”>Explore All Home Forum Discussions | Houzz(they</a> have a fantastic appliance forum)</p>
<p>“I still like it though and I think the salesman told me that the way it was built, it couldn’t leak on the floor even if something went wrong with it.”</p>
<p>Send that salesperson to my house and I will rub his face into the hardwood floor where the %#@&* Bosch-made dishwasher leaked!!! The thing was empty and not operating at the time!!! I came down to the kitchen one sunny Saturday morning to discover a puddle of water by the dishwasher - imagine my fury! It was a piddly little plastic part that failed (the repair costs were way beyond “piddly”). However, the stainless steel interior of the dishwasher still had its brand new look on the day we disposed of the infamous appliance.</p>
<p>The hardwood floor actually “healed itself” (Swedish finish maple floors), and one needs to look really hard to see where the disaster zone was.</p>
<p>Timely thread for me and very interesting about the circuit board problem. I have an old Bosch that takes too long to go through cycles. Service told me last year that it’s from build up and to periodically use Tang or one of the Jet Dry cleaning agents, which I had been doing without much improvement. Now I see that long cycles are also the prime symptom of board issues. I didn’t really pursue since the machine is old, and I was only keeping it for a spare for when we recently bought a new one. Already called to service it and will definitely mention the circuit issues as a result of reading this thread! </p>
<p>For the new one, I looked into the alternatives, but I ended up getting another Bosch because 1) the new one is even quieter than the old 2) European dishwashers give a more flush installation appearance with inset cabinets 3) The flat Miele utensil racks would drive me crazy 4) Many of my friends have had Bosch with no problems. </p>
<p>The new Bosch is great so far - so quiet you really can’t even hear it and performs beautifully. If I were looking strictly on the basis of reliablilty I’d strongly consider a Kitchenaid (but not as quiet).</p>
<p>
In that case the Bosch would be a good choice since they have a dishwasher factory in North Carolina. Whirlpool makes many appliances in the USA but they also have some factories in Mexico so you’d need to check the box to see where the product was actually manufactured if you’re concerned. In these times of global companies one can’t rely on whether the company origins are domestic or foreign because the foreign company might build the product in the USA and the domestic company might built the product outside the USA. This goes for appliances, autos, and almost everything else. It takes some research to determine whether something’s really made in the USA or not.</p>
<p>A very good point ucla dad. For those who care about American jobs it can be a tough choice. Sometimes the only choice is Foreign owned but assembled here? Or American owned assembled elsewhere? No easy answer given just those 2 choices.</p>
<p>Personally, I try for as American as I can, and as owner of 3 Whirlpool dws(rental houses) I actually did confirm they were made in USA before my purchase.</p>
<p>For those who like the Bosch dishwasher, are you satisfied with its drying? I understand it does not dry with heat but rather with a “condensation dryer”.</p>
<p>Yes, I am satisfied–it took some getting used to, but I figure it adds to energy efficiency of the machine. I try to crack open the door at the end of the cycle which allows for air drying. Plus, I am more happy about how quiet machine is and the cleanliness of the dishes than the heated air drying option. No, I don’t miss the heat dry option of some machines.</p>
<p>Bosch here.
Very quiet…love that.
We had the smell problem for the first year…but it seems to have gone away.
Our appliance repair guy said to switch to a powder vs liquid dw detergent…we did and it does a better job.
Our repair guy also said Bosch is one of the few dishwashers that actually has push buttons vs an electronic touch panel. Those touch panels break A LOT. Keep him in business my guy says (he came out to replace one on my Jennair gas slide in oven).<br>
Anyway, I like my Bosch.</p>
<p>My dishwasher repair guy was here yesterday, and I asked him what kind of dishwasher he has, and he has a Bosch. Unfortunately that’s not in our current price range. Does anybody remember what the Flintstones use to wash their dishes, because I may be looking for one of those.</p>
<p>I took my Whirlpool dishwasher apart this week in an effort to fix it myself. I did not fix it, but I was still impressed that I could disassemble a dishwasher, though I don’t know what purpose that skill will serve if I can’t actually fix it. </p>
<p>It’s going to cost $360 to get it functional again. The guy actually said, “This is a good model. It’s got a good pump on it, but if it goes out it’s an expensive repair.” Oh. Then does it make any sense to sink that money into it? </p>
<p>This is just a great horror to me! If everybody has to replace all their appliances every five years, then we’re going to be living on top of mountains of discarded appliances.</p>