<p>The only piece of appliance that works to perfection in my house is the Miele dishwasher. I also have a Fisher Paykel drawer type for small loads and the Miele works so much better.</p>
<p>We have a Bosch which I love! Though I am becoming quite intrigued with all the new Electrolux appliances.</p>
<p>Wow…$360 to fix…i don’t think so. Seems like a poor investment.
A low end Bosch is not that expensive. Sears has them in the mid 500s.
That’s the kind we got. Quiet…pretty good cleaning. No repair issues after two years.</p>
<p>The dishwasher lives! And I have unjustly slandered Frigidaire. My wife called the support number, really just to complain - because dishwasher was purchased by the seller just before we bought our house 1 1/2 years ago. Much to our surprise they looked us up and told us they could do “parts and labor” on a repair, so the repairman came out today and replaced the fan as well as the entire control panel. I still don’t know if the original buyer (the guy we bought our house from) purchased an extended warranty or if Frigidaire just decided to offer more than 1 year protection. For the moment, we are happy.</p>
<p>Fantastic news! Maybe the guys at Frigidaire read CC :)</p>
<p>NJres, Glad that you resolved the problem.</p>
<p>mapesy - I owe you one - circuit board issue on my eight year old machine (it wasn’t even as old as I thought it was)! Not even all that expensive to fix. According to the repair guy, the new ones were reengineered and should not have this problem. I don’t know why the guy who came out last time missed this.</p>
<p>Keep far far away from Fisher Paykel drawers. We had ours REPLACED by the manufacturer twice and, in addition, had 8 visits from the repair people. This is over a span of just 2 years. Eventually we reminded GE(current owners of FP) of the California Lemon law and they replaced the dishwasher with a new(NOT fp) GE product. Google the product and you will read nightmares aplenty. WORST PRODUCT EVER.</p>
<p>musicamusica - we remodeled our basement this year and I almost put in a Fisher Paykel single drawer unit. After reading your post I am glad we didn’t!</p>
<p>We built our house 10 years ago and one by one the appliances are having problems. What happened to the old days when these things would last forever? This weeks project is a new cooktop. Of course I had to spend HOURS finding one that fit within the granite cut out of the old one.</p>
<p>roshke, Glad my post was helpful!</p>
<p>Our cooktop (Thermador) died recently, too. Simply amazing that three eyes burned out within two weeks of one another. We went with a Wolf this time around. So far, so good.</p>
<p>Kajon–We remodeled the kitchen in our old house about 15 years ago. We have since, had to replace everyone of the appliances we put in. The funny thing is that the old appliances (an oven and cook top from the '40s, a dishwasher from the 60’s) were all working great when we replaced them with “high end” fancy schmancy stainless steel crapola.</p>
<p>Packmom- We have two Bosch dishwashers in our kitchen. One of them tends to smell more than the other. Two things that seem to help. Clean out the filter drains. They are removable. Sometimes food settles in and it smells. Or I toss some baking soda in the bottom.
Mine are 12 yrs old. They are the same model but they don’t clean the same. One works much better. What I am annoyed with is the dishwashers work great but the upper trays are starting to fall apart. They are very expensive to replace. I don’t want to replace the rack since I figure once I shell out the money something mechanical will go wrong.</p>
<p>Here is a trick that gets rid of smells from a dishwasher - pour a cup of vinegar in your empty dishwasher and run it (still empty) through a short cycle. With my Thermador (made by Bosch) DW I had to do it monthly. My Miele DW doesn’t seem to have the smell problem.</p>
<p>When my time comes for a new dishwasher, I was thinking about one that has the skinny top rack for silverware. Does anyone have opinions on this?</p>
<p>FYI - I was at the appliance store today and overheard a salesperson say that European dishwashers do not connect to the garbage disposal like the U.S. ones do.</p>
<p>Kajon - I love the third tray. The silverware pieces come out spotless and don’t rattle during the wash. Love it.</p>
<p>I can’t say anything about garbage disposal, since we don’t have one. It would cost us $300/year to have it (County requires annual cert. of the septic systems if you have one, therefore we live just fine without it).</p>