I have to decide by October 2nd....what should I do?

<p>I don't know if I should apply to UCSB...</p>

<p>I haven't taken the SAT 2's yet, and the deadline for the Nov. 3 test date is Oct. 2nd.</p>

<p>My question is, with the all of my other options, should I even waste my time doing the 2 personal statements, as well as take the SAT 2's. </p>

<p>My stats are 3.5UW/3.7W (however my UC gpa is around 3.4-5), I'm ranked 61/654, and my SAT score is an 1100. I just took the ACT, and I'm retaking the SAT on Oct. 6th...So I'm definitely hoping to increase that score.</p>

<p>I plan on applying to UMiami, USC, Pepperdine, LMU, Florida State, Indiana, and San Diego State.</p>

<p>So since my chances aren't that great, and I'll have to write 2 more essays, and take the SAT 2's...should I apply to UCSB?</p>

<p>I really like the school, but I'm not sure if it is worth the effort...what do you think?</p>


<p>If you don't think spending a few hours writing the statements and taking the SATII tests are worth your time for where you'll spend the next 4-5 years, then you must not have much of a desire to go to UCSB.</p>

<p>Yes, if you are a California resident and if finances are in any way an issue you should apply -- and take the SAT II's. It could be that the UCSB ends up your most affordable option. It would be a shame for you to give up that chance simply because it seems like too much bother to take the test, unless you would prefer San Diego State (even more affordable) to UCSB.</p>

<p>If you really like the school, then YES! It's definitely worth writing a couple pages (essays) and spending a few hours taking tests. It is a very good school for a great price and if you even have the slightest desire to go there, then apply and take the tests.</p>

<p>Thanks for the help. UCSB would be perfect if they had a better sports program and football, but I would settle for their beach side location and atmosphere.</p>

<p>I just don't know if I would go to UCSB over SDSU. I plan to major in business and minor in communications, so I'm thinking SDSU might be better for me....????</p>

<p>From an academic standpoint, UCSB has SDSU beat all the way around. The professors are top-notch (several are nobel prize winners) and the students are, overall, going to be a notch higher than at SD. If you can get into any UC and are up for the challenge, you should consider going to a UC over a CSU. It is probably better to apply and see what happens, then make the decision if you get into both. Good luck. By the way, if you think that you might not get into UCSB, it is unlikely you will get into USC. USC has become very competitive and the number of applicants has grown exponentially.</p>

<p>"By the way, if you think that you might not get into UCSB, it is unlikely you will get into USC. USC has become very competitive and the number of applicants has grown exponentially."</p>

<p>Yeah USC is way more competitive, but USC will count 9th grade (i got a 4.0), and weight all of my ap's, and not cap my gpa like the UC's do. Also they will consider my essays, recommendation letters, and ec's...unlike the UC's which base their decision almost solely on gpa/sat scores.</p>

<p>But right now I'm most likely going to apply to UCSB.</p>

<p>You should apply to the Arizona schools.
You have a chance of getting a partial scholarship at those schools.</p>

<p>Apply to Indiana now and you will get an answer in three weeks.</p>


<p>I applied to Indiana 10 days ago. I also emailed their financial aid office, and they said if I get an 1150 or a 26 on the ACT, I'll most likely get a scholarship.</p>

<p>And I was planning on applying to U of A, but I took it off of my list a few weeks ago. I'm almost positive one of my other schools will work out.</p>

<p>USC is extremely concerned about its rankings and, subsequently, test scores; they provide automatic tuition discounts to NMSF's. The Frosh grades won't help much at all bcos you have a downward trend. Absent a hook, USC is a reachy-reach.</p>

<p>I am sure some of your other schools will work out. I mention the Arizona schools so you can compare costs and give yourself more options.</p>

<p>Good luck on your test scores.</p>

<p>Look at U of Oregon too, if you don't mind rain. Some call it UC Eugene due to the high number of Cali students there, and the price is reasonable. My S is very happy with his decision to go there.</p>

<p>Take a look at this chart of UCSB results from a large Southern California high school:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.arcadiachineseparents.org/plots/2007/UCSB.png%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.arcadiachineseparents.org/plots/2007/UCSB.png&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Assuming that your writing score is in the 550 range, and taking your unweighted GPA at 3.5, you look to have a 50/50 chance (based on a quick and dirty look see).</p>

<p>I believe that the UCs will accept a December SAT2 test, so you don't have to hurry to take the NOV test. Frankly, I think SAT2s take more prep time because you have to actually know a body of material and many kids have to review from a prep book (especially if their class at school doesn't cover all the material that will be covered on the test),</p>

<p>Thanks for all of the help. I'm going to postpone my decision until the December SAT2 Deadline, (thanks ellemnope for pointing that info out).</p>

<p>Thanks again...</p>

<p>October 30th deadline to register for the December SAT...</p>

<p>The only downside to waiting till December is that you have no squish room. For example, if you become sick the night before the SAT, you are out of luck.</p>