I Love Duke....

<p>SHOULD I STOP DREAMING????????</p>

<p>SATs: 1990 (730,640)
SAT2s: 650, 650 (retaking)
GPA: 3.62/4.0
APs: 5(World History), 5 (US History), 5(US Psychology), 3 (ENGLISH LANG)
AP Scholar w/ Honor</p>

<p>Extracurriculers
Yearbook-Editor in Chief
*** Yearbook won first place in Nationals last year when I was an Academic Editor.</p>

<p>National Honor Society_ President</p>

<p>Interact Club___ President</p>

<p>Student Govt. __ Vice-President</p>

<p>Spanish Honor Society
I work two jobs
Internship for Senator Ted Kennedy
Basketball Coach</p>

<p>Amazing recs (2 plus an additional voluntary rec from Guidance director, strong essays)</p>

<p>Intangibles:
African Refugee, came in 1995, a Permanent Resident, escaped a war blah blah blah. Colorful family history (My grandfather wrote the Somali National Anthem)
Welfare family. single parent
Actress in a play that traveled the country for 2.5 years, subject of many articles in magazines.</p>

<p>Honestly, think you have a good chance due to your special circumstances and what you have accomplished while working two jobs. Duke is also pretty liberal so Teddy should help rather than hurt (joke) Duke from what I hear is big on diversity. Looks like you have a great work ethic!!! Good luck!!</p>

<p>Thanks for the response. I love Ted b/c he does so much with education and that affects me directly. Like he sponsored a bill to raise the amt. the Pell Grant (FAFSA) can give to $4,250. Wonderful Senator.......
Having two jobs is really hard. During Sophomore year, I had two jobs to help out my family and I played JV basketball. It was the worst four months of high school.</p>

<p>I agree that you have a decent chance given your cirumstances. Still, it may be somewhat difficult because your grades/scores are far below average.</p>

<p>the 600s are low, but your ap tests are awesome and grades sound good (i'm assuming that's unweighted though) and considering your extra-curriculars and family/racial/whatnot circumstances I think you have an above-average shot.</p>

<p>Your grandfather wrote the Somali National Anthem? I thought an Italian wrote that? Can't remember the name, but he also wrote some songs for Il Duce... I just ask because I'm a have a long-standing interest in WWII history and always found Italy's role interesting...</p>

<p>lucky with the senator thing. seems like a lot of the elite colleges really like that.</p>

<p>You should be set, my man. An African refugee? They won't be able to get enough of you.</p>

<p>Yea my grandfather was a really big Nationalist but also a great poet. The song was really a rallying cry for the Somali people.</p>