I need some advising on how to approace my situation..

<p>I'm currently living in California and just got out of high school. Although, my plan was to go the air force and then college, but the air force plan wasn't going to work out for me just yet. So I applied last minute to colleges and got into 2 with rolling admissions. One was a christian school in Dallas and the other one was in chicago which seems to focus alot on "Social Justice". I chose Chicago and have registered for classes already. Now, i'm getting cold feet because my father really wants me to go to one of the UC's later on and frankly, so do I. </p>

<p>I'm not sure what my options are at this point but I do know that i'm running out and wasting alot of time. I would've have just gone to a community college and finished my GE and then transfer over but class selection is depleted as it can be. I'll probably have to wait another semester or so to get into the classes I need. </p>

<p>Now, another route I could take, is go to the college in Chicago(Roosevelt</a> University ) It would cost about 34k a year to attend and I'm not expecting to get alot of financial aid at least this year. My dad isn't bought out to the idea that it's worth spending 34k~ a year on the specific college alone, and that it also reduces my chances of transfering over to a UC such as Davis,SD,Berkeley or LA.</p>

<p>My plan is to major in Biology, then from there decide whether to go for med school or pursue a career in biotechnology. I'm assuming UC Davis,and UCSD has the best biology/med programs because that's what i've been told.</p>

<p>So what should I do? Should I attend the university in Chicago and hope to transfer over to one of the UC's my junior year?I really need some advise on this, I need to make a decison fast and i'm totally lost on what to do.</p>

<p>Look Over Roosevelt's Common Data Set: <a href="http://legacy.roosevelt.edu/ir/pdfs/CDS_09-10.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://legacy.roosevelt.edu/ir/pdfs/CDS_09-10.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I would suggest (as a rising high school senior, so take my advice with a grain of salt) looking to go to a CC.</p>

<p>I know that you have to wait around for a semester without the right classes but the 6 year graduation rate at Roosevelt is a measly 41% and CC isn't 17k a semester.. </p>

<p>I think you should try talking to an academic advisor at your local CC so see how likely you will be able to transfer and how long that will take.</p>

<p>I have friends at my local CC that are having problems getting into the right classes to graduate and more importantly finding the transfer programs to CSU's and UC's impacted meaning that your grades will have to be stellar to transfer. </p>

<p>Ask around for more advice though.</p>

<p>Stay in CA and take a gap semester/year. Then go CC to a UC. Don't pay $34K for a school you'll want to transfer out of later.</p>

<p>I agree with both/either Erin's Dad and Hitman - there's not much point in paying that kind of money for a school you know you want to leave, whose only strong point is that they accepted you last minute. </p>

<p>You'd be better off taking several months or a year off and going to CCs or even applying to the UCs you want in a year as a freshman (if that even works in California - I have no idea!)</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>See what CC classes for GE are open to take and find others online. Just be sure the UC's would transfer the credit. You only need to do this for one semester and then go to the CC or UC full time in January.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>Aren't there some Calif privates that will still accept your application? </p>

<p>Are you in southern, central, or northern cal?</p>

<p>I'm thinking that some of the smaller LACs or mid-tiers might still accept you. Maybe Whittier College, Azusa Pacific, URedlands, St. Marys in Moraga, USF, Chapman, etc might still accept you.</p>

<p>What is your likely major?</p>

<p>Hey everyone,
Thanks for all the help. And yes, I am in agreement with all of you. I'm starting to come to terms that 34k for Roosevelt won't work out for the best in the future.. and my main goal is to be able to transfer to a UC(major in Biology) and from my understanding is that most of the cc's here have agreements with the UC for transfers right? I'm situated in nor-cal for the moment, but i'm willing to go as far out as a few hundred miles around the area, if thats what it takes, and as long as i'm in state. I don't want to take a gap year though.. I don't like sitting around honestly, but there are some Christian schools here as well that is worth taking a look, but my main concern again is transferring to a UC. How hard would it be to transfer to a UC from any private school here in ca, you think?</p>

<p>From what I have read, still hard. There are articulation agreements with the CCs, not so much the privates.</p>

<p>Yeah look at CC's close to home.</p>

<p>You don't need to take a gap year but you do NEED to talk to a guidance counselor at whatever CC you decide to go, to work on a plan to get to a UC as soon as possible. Most articulation agreements have become impacted because of budget cuts and many required transfer classes at CC's become very full quickly or are only offered once a year. You could probably still make some GenEds in the fall semester and so stay on track to transfer in two years.</p>

<p>Well everyone,</p>

<p>I'm going to be calling my admission counselor at Roosevelt this week and let him know that I will be dropping my admission.</p>

<p>Now.., there are still community colleges in california that have classes available, but would it matter which community college I should attend? Lake Tahoe CC definately(leaning towards this one), the San Diego CC's have a few left, Maybe a few in Irvine and Santa Barbara and etc. Most of these community colleges though are quite a drive from where I live in the bay-area and have a few concerns; Is it possible to go to one cc for a semester or a year then transfer to another cc later on and still be able to transfer to a UC? Also, some of these community colleges have guaranteed admissions, which is awesome but it doesn't include UC Berkeley which is my school of preference. Will attending a cc with "TAG" hurt my chances at CAL and so on?</p>

<p>Oh, and thanks everyone for helping out here. It's been very tiring the last few weeks, not knowing what's ahead in the future, hopefully everything works out.</p>

<p>Oh and also, I noticed via Assist.org that the articulation agreements with cc's vary just a tad bit, but to clear up some confusion before I head out and choose a cc to go, I have another question... If I strive to meet Berkeley's transfer requirements, would that also satisfy the requirements of other UC's as well? For example, Berkeley has a seven course breadth component that I don't see any other UC carry. In case, Berkeley doesn't follow through for me, I'd like a back up school too yenno. </p>

<p>And yes, I understand that meeting with a counselor is the best thing to do at the moment but Its best that I plan out what to do before making the commitments imo. </p>

<p>Thanks everyone.</p>

<p>Good move to not attend Roosevelt. For that kind of money (which doesn't include living expenses in Chicago), you're better off just getting a job and waiting things out. Best of luck to you</p>