I realized I'm Not Getting Into My Dream College..

<p>I'm a sophomore in high school and my dream university is Boston College. I would basically do anything if it meant i could be a part of that school. However, today i received my report card and it was a slap in the face. i had gotten an overall average for my first semester as a 90 with a midterm average of an 82. First quarter i had a 90 and second quarter without the midterms was a 93. I tried so hard on my midterms it is not even funny. I spent hours studying but I guess it was no use. Because I did so poorly on my midterms i won't be able to make second honor roll, which i have been doing every quarter since freshman year began and i will not be in National Honor Society Junior year. I realized theres no way I'm getting in there.. I take only one honors class. Knowing this really sucks. I wanted to go there SO badly. I even visited the school (not an official visit though) and as soon as i saw it i said to myself i would do my best to get in here. And look where i am now. I'm not going to get in at all. I hate this so much. But what i'm asking is if there is ANY chance for me to get in and if there are any of you who have had similar instances. thanks.</p>

<p>If BC is your dream school, you should apply.</p>

<p>In choosing your list, you should have schools that you honestly feel are "target" schools and one or two that you (and your GC) honestly feel are "safety" schools. If you do this there is absolutely nothing wrong (and a lot right) with applying to a "reach" or two. And, if you don't apply there is no chance of getting in.</p>

<p>As to your situation -- you may be over-reacting to a disappopinting set of mid-terms. It's not the end of the world. Plenty of people have a bad semester or even a bad year and still get into excellent schools (even schoolsof BC's caliber). Just do everything you can to pull up your grades. It's all you can do.</p>

<p>We have no idea whether you can get into BC. Get your grades up, take more challenging courses and get high scores. MAYBE that will make it possible.</p>

<p>What we can tell you is that there are many other colleges you can also fall in love within the next 2 years. There is no one perfect college.</p>

<p>My daughter (currently a freshman at Yale) had a disastrous freshman year and missed high, and second honor roll one quarter. At this point I don't remember why. I have no idea whether your qualifications overall are in place to go to BC, but obsessing over a bad quarter do no one any good. There is not "one way", but in the end, generally, people end up in just the right place for them. If BC is really right for you, then you can find a way to get there. Just keep working hard. And Waverly is right, you may love BC, but there a <em>lots</em> of other great schools that have a similar vibe, and can make you just as happy.</p>

<p>Just make sure you have a solid Junior year, get involved outside of NHS (could prove to be more valuable), and work hard for the SAT/ACT. And apply no matter what :)</p>

<p>You're only a sophomore, you've got plenty of time to improve. I had a poor second semester sophomore year and got accepted to an ivy level school this year. Get involved in some good ECs, get good test scores, and show improvement. There's plenty of time.</p>

<p>Look for many colleges that are similar to Boston College and that are less selective. A reach school is fine provided you have match and safety schools that you also like.</p>

<p>gaels1234, you are not going to get accepted into your dream school. You know why? Because of your pi5s-poor attitude.</p>

<p>A single dismal report, or even two, often do not a rejection make. But apathy and a worthless attitude during the admissions process will almost certainly guarantee a rejection.</p>

<p>You have another two years! Do you realize that? Two years! What I would give for another two years in high school, to actually have the chance to work hard again ...</p>

<p>I'm going to take a different tact. I think 'dream' schools are a bunch of hooey.</p>

<p>Absolutely do your best academically and participate in activities you enjoy.</p>

<p>But don't spend the next 2 years of HS being anxious about getting into 1 school. While you think it's THE place for you and that it's where you'll be the happiest, you're wrong. You're wrong for two reasons:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>You don't really know that much about the BC, nor do you know much about the many other excellent colleges out there. Brochures, CC, word of mouth, it's all well and good, but you don't really KNOW until you get there.</p></li>
<li><p>There are many colleges where you can thrive and reach your goals, not just one. And guess what, none of them are perfect, even BC! But that's OK, because they will provide what you need, and then YOU will do the rest :).</p></li>
</ol>

<p>
[quote]
I spent hours studying but I guess it was no use.

[/quote]
I like the advice you've already been given, but more importantly what are you going to do differently? As one wag once said, a definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. So something needs to change about how you study, what you choose to study, etc. because things aren't going to magically improve on their own.</p>

<p>There is a lot of info on the web about improving study skills; one starting place is University</a> of St. Thomas : Academic Support Center
There's a book I highly recommend titled "What Smart Students Know". It is written by the cofounder of the Princeton Review Prep School and aims to do for schoolwork what prep schools did for the SAT, explain what you need to know to do well and how to do it.</p>

<p>never have a dream school..I really despise this term</p>

<p>I hope this will help you feel a little better...</p>

<p>I'm a junior in high school now in IL and since the beginning of my freshman year, I had my eyes set on Purdue, I even visited just like you did and I was pretty sure that was where i was going to go. well, i have the grades to go there but it turns out that the total expenses would be around 30-40k a year to me, possibly more, and i cant afford even half of that! now, i have plenty of decisions to make based on what $$ i do have access to and im exploring my options. sure, i wish i could go to Purdue, i would love it. but that's life. </p>

<p>my advice to you is that you should really be open to your options and so some research! chances are you will fall in love with another school VERY fast, especially if costs arent a problem to you. and who knows, you might still be able to go to BC. you wont know for sure until you actually get the letter in the mail your senior year. keep BC in the back of your mind, but be open! </p>

<p>those grades that you posted are not bad grades at all, the grades you have so far achieved in high school will still get you into a great school. also, you have plenty of time! youre only a sophomore! im a junior in my 2nd semester and im the only one of my friends that is looking into colleges AT ALL. so the fact that you are already exploring options will only help you!</p>

<p>good luck! and seriously dont be down about one school, there are many that im sure you would love.</p>