I think I'm broken

<p>Ok, so, I've been getting frustrated recently at my poor math performance. Over the past 6 weeks or so, my CR score has risen from 670 to 750, my WR score has hovered around 740-770, and my math score, which started at 760, continues to hover between 670 and 690. . . . </p>

<p>I've analyzed my errors, and, well, they're weird. . . . Yesterday, after reviewing my notes on the RR math section, I tried 20 practice questions from the BB. I went slow, I didn't do any of the work in my head--I followed RR's advice, which was the same advice that got me to the 760. So, I missed three questions:</p>

<p>First error: The question said to find the equation for a line with a y intercept of 2 and an x intercept of 3, yet, from the moment I read it, I thought it was the reverse: so I picked the equation with an x intercept of 2 and a y intercept of 3.</p>

<p>Second error: I was to choose a function that represented a situation. I assigned numbers to the variables and then tested all of the choices, A-E, and found that choice A was correct. After testing the other choices, to make sure my process wasn't flawed, I was satisfied and filled in B--they looked similar and I forgot which one I got as my answer. . . .</p>

<p>Third error: I subtracted 9 from 16 and got 5, and so chose the ratio 3:5 instead of 3:7.</p>

<p>Any advice....? lol</p>

<p>The solution is clear. You know how to do the stuff, but you make a bunch of dumb little mistakes. Isn't it annoying? Takes practice, my friend... It helps to double-check your answers slowly if you have additional time at the end.</p>

<p>Do you closely reread the question after you finish it as RocketReview says? I know how hard it can be to realize mistakes like those since you're in such a hurry for the next question*. A good way is to look more closely at the last steps of the process of solving a question rather than every step.* When you first start a question, you go slowly because you need to figure it out; however, when you get into the end, you've gotten into a rhythm(for that question though, the rhythm for each question is unique, but can last anywhere between 5-30 seconds) that is a lot quicker. It's like a tennis match: when you first start a point, you take the first shot slowly, but after the first couple of returns, you're in a rhythm and you start hitting it over with ease, and you feel that you're in such a good feel that you hit one as hard as you can and it BARELY goes out. You should be able to feel that rhythm at the end. While careless mistakes is a huge deal, the key in my opinion is knowing how to solve the problems correctly, and if you can do that, then you can easily go from a 690 to an 800 if you know how to do them.</p>

<p>^With his advice, I went from a 630 to a 740. It works</p>

<p>i had same problem, went from a 670 to an 800. its all about learning where they try to trick you. you are falling for the traps they set, learn what those are. dont zip through early questions because they seem easy, that is where it is easiest to screw up.</p>

<p>I would take a break for a few days to clear your head and try to break free from the bad habits you're developing. Go do something physical or do something to take your mind off it, then start fresh.</p>

<p>^agree</p>

<p>you're just burnt out, I'm sure you're smarter than this</p>