I want to major in science but....

<p>Hey guys,</p>

<p>I reallly want to be a pediatrician and i plan on going to medical school after graduating from college. I know Wesleyan has great research opportunities and that science majors get a little bit of a boost in terms of admissions. There's only one major problem i have. My grades during my first three years at school are pretty bad but i REALLY want to become a doctor. </p>

<p>Should I apply to Wesleyan as a science major regardless? Will that hurt my chances for admissions? What should i do ?
Should I apply as undecided and then major in biology? </p>

<p>advice, suggestions, comments of any kind is encouraged and appreciated! thanks!</p>

<p>some please helpppppppppp</p>

<p>Why would applying as a science major hurt your chances?</p>

<p>Applying as a science major will boost, not hurt, your chances for admissions :)
If you really want to be a doctor (i.e. maybe it's a passion of yours), have you considered writing an essay that mentions or reflects that? If it's not a real passion, then I wouldn't recommend such an essay.</p>

<p>Once you get in, you can change your major as much as you want and Wesleyan doesn't mind. (That said, if anyone else is reading this, it's incredibly dishonest to apply as a Physics major for an admissions boost if your interest is Creative Writing)</p>

<p>My grades during high school weren't too phenomenal, either. The admissions process will treat you as a whole person though, so other factors (like SAT/ACT, essay, extracurriculars, etc) will be quite important as well. Good luck!</p>

<p>When i said my grades are pretty bad for high school, i mostly meant my science grades. With this in mind, does applying to Wesleyan as a pre-med or biology major still boost my chances of getting in? I'm afraid the adcom might think im applying as a science major only to boost my chances because my passion in wanting to become a doctor doesnt really show on my transcript (my poor science grades, no science electives...etc) Also, I'm not taking any science SAT II's.</p>

<p>Nafeiniar,
I think your application is going to present certain challenges no matter who reads it. Your only choice is to be completely honest and hope that they can see through the statistics to the real you. The odds of that happening at Wesleyan are better than average. :)</p>

<p>Please remember that you don't need to major in science to get into medical school. In fact, many medical schools want students with people skills; aside from basic preparation in undergrad school, they'll teach you the science you need to know. But doctors nowadays need to know how to deal with the personal and emotional needs of patients.</p>

<p>Okay..so I guess i should apply as a science major despite my poor science grades. I'm pretty sure WEsleyan will give me good basic prep for med school regardless of which major i choose anyway :]</p>

<p>Frankly Nefeiniar, I don't think that your chances are that good. Our high school validictorian with a perfect 4.0 in top courses, in a top 30 ranked high school was waitlisted. She had 1460 in her SATs ( math 800 and verbal 640), and wanted to major in science. She did, however, get in off the waitlist.</p>

<p>If you aren't close to what she has, I would suggest that you have little chance, sorry.</p>

<p>i disagree... wesleyan's sat median is around 1400-1410 i believe... which means pretty much half the school is below that. in other words, wesleyan looks at the individual and what he/she can contribute to the school... numbers aren't everything, I think less so at Wes than at many peer schools. show passion and the desire to learn and enrich your surroundings and you stand a fair chance.</p>

<p>Smartallc34, How much more passion can you show than a 4.0 GPA in very tough courses and 800 on the math part of the SAT? She also was in all of the school plays and marching band and concerts. In fact, she played two instruments. She did a lot of EC, although nothing overaly spectacular. </p>

<p>Despite all of this,she was waitlisted. Yes, she did eventually get in off the waitlist. </p>

<p>Your cite median numbers for the SATs. They have plenty of kids who get in with lower stats because of affirmative action, not enough from a particular state, or kids who have connections. I guess if the OP was a black male, left-handed super ping pong player, they might get in with 1400 SATs or even lower scores. For those that don't meet one of these special criteria, an applicant would need to have above average stats!</p>

<p>That's not true. Admissions really does look at the personal. All these factors help, but I have white friends with 1300 SATs, good non-valedictorian grades, and no utterly outstanding extracurriculars who still got in.</p>

<p>I think you misunderstood what I meant about passion. I didn't mean passion about academics or grades- the numbers will speak for themselves in that regard. By passion, I mean a passion for a particular extra-curricular, a passion for helping out in a certain way, or a passion for just engaging peers in conversation. The essay is the best way to get this across... show the admission officers that you care about something and aren't just studying all the time or doing EC's just so your app looks good. Having a few EC's that you care a lot about or are very good at is better than just being a member in a dozen activities. The Wes campus is very active for a reason... admissions accepts those who have voices. The person madjoy is talking about probably fit this bill... being extroverted and showing who you are on the application is the best way in to the school</p>