I am a freshman business student (Management Information Systems specialization) in my second semester at Bowling Green State University. I have been accepted as a transfer student to The Ohio State University and I am trying to determine whether or not I should transfer. I had a 4.0 GPA my first semester and am currently doing well in my second.
My reasons for wanting to transfer are:
- Not only is OSU ranked higher than BGSU overall for academics, but Ohio State's undergrad business program is ranked #14 by Bloomberg compared to #71 for BGSU's
- I think that Columbus, OH, where OSU is located, is a much cooler city and is, at this time, my top choice for a place to live post-graduation, so why not get a head start on living there?,
- I feel I will have more opportunities for things like internships at OSU because of the fact it is located in such as large urban area (Columbus, OH population ~850,000 and metro pop. around ~2,000,000) compared to Bowling Green, OH with a population of ~30,000
- I think a degree from OSU will be more valuable and desired by employers, especially in the Columbus area, when compared to one from BGSU
- There is more school spirit at OSU and the athletics are much better
- All of my credits from BGSU will transfer to OSU according to Transferology
Reasons for being iffy about transferring are:
- I’ve already got a good establishment here at BGSU, socially and academically, and know the campus already
- I have the opportunity to be a resident advisor next year here at BGSU, after applying and going through interviews. (Of course I can always apply after my first year at OSU as well)
- I am fearful about the drawbacks of being a transfer student. I will essentially be a freshman in terms of getting adjusted to the new campus, but in reality I’ll be a sophomore.
My parents are somewhat divided on the issue, but have been providing a lot of advice and said they’ll support me either way. My dad thinks I should go to OSU because it is higher ranked and better academically, but my mom thinks I should stay at BGSU because I’ve already established myself there and she really wants me to be an RA (which, even though I’ll have to wait another year, I can always apply to be an RA after my first 2 semesters at OSU if I transfer)
Can anyone help me out with this? I’d really appreciate any tips! I know this is a personal decision, but advice from others always helps!