I was told that teacher recs really don't matter much?

<p>Hey,
In one of my classes, my teacher explained a little bit about applying to colleges (he got into BC).
He said that the last thing that admissions look at is the teacher recommendations, and that they represent like 1% of your total application.
He said that before admission officers read them, they have made up their mind of deciding whether to admit you or not.
If an admission officer rejects you, and the teacher recommendation was really good, then the next morning, he will put you in the accept.</p>

<p>Is this true?</p>

<p>My son was accepted to all 9 schools he applied to. His teacher never clicked "submit" on the common app recommendation form, so the recs never got to the schools. </p>

<p>Based on that, we seem to think the teacher recs must not carry a lot of weight. </p>

<p>However, we will still insist that our daughter take them seriously and treat them like they matter when she starts applying this fall. You just never know.</p>

<p>Generally, any blanket statement with no evidence (or even experience) to back it up should be assumed to be false. Though I suppose I just made a blanket statement myself....</p>

<p>For the vast majority of colleges, rec letters matter little -- aren't even a part of the evaluation. For the very selective ones, it is one of the few items that can really distinguish you or leave you in the "forgettable" pile (i.e. rejected). Your teacher's experience at BC is extremely narrow and he ought not to imply that his scenario is applicable to every situation out there.</p>

<p>Have a read for how much MIT values its rec letters:
MIT</a> Admissions | Info For Schools & Counselors: Writing Evaluations</p>