I would like to ask parents about trucking job...

<p>I am thinking of becoming a trucker and my parents said if 'trucker' on my resume I would forever be 'doomed' to being a trucker or other low jobs (in their opinion) and would never be able to be hired as white collar worker if I ever decide to get a degree.</p>

<p>Is this true?</p>

<p>No, that's just silly.</p>

<p>To be safe, maybe don't write 'trucker'. How about 'articulated automotive materials conveyancing coordinator'?</p>

<p>This is as true as the statement that if you ever have a job waiting on tables or clearing tables, in the future, you can never work as a doctor or a lawyer. No one who ever has one type of job later gets a different type of job. ;)</p>

<p>Sorry - I don't mean to make light of your parents' concern. I am, however, agreeing with you. There are do-overs. You can change careers. If you conduct yourself as a responsible and professional person, that is what people will see, and you will be able to move back and forth between types of jobs.</p>

<p>I'm going to take a guess here. I think your parents might want you to start work on a bachelor's degree now and worry that if you were to work as a trucker (replace this with any other skilled job that does not require a bachelor's degree) and bring home a trucker's salary, you might become accustomed to this life (and even buy a home and/or start a family). After this, you might never go back to school for a bachelor's degree. Even if you decide that you want to earn a degree, you won't be able to step away from your life to be a full-time student, and earning a bachelor's degree will be more difficult and time-consuming than it would be do to this when you are 18 or 19, right after high school or after a gap year. I think your parents might prefer that at this time in your life, you be a student. If you feel college really is not for you at this point in your life (or ever), come up with a well-thought-out alternative plan that includes job training and subsequent employment and present this plan to your parents.</p>

<p>Also, bad a 09, it is my understanding that you must be 21 to get the Commercial Driver's License (CDL) needed to drive an 18-wheeler in the U.S. Is this an option for you at this point in your life? When do you turn 21?</p>

<p>There's nothing wrong with being a trucker. But there can be reasons for concern about your plan.</p>

<p>Although you could get the kind of job you're interested in without going to college, you might want to do a different type of work later on -- and many types of work do require a college degree. But getting a college degree as an adult can be much more difficult than getting one right after high school because you are likely to have other responsibilities.</p>

<p>For example, let's say that you become a long-distance truck driver now, but five years from now, you get married and start a family. As a husband and father, you might resent the long periods away from home that your job requires, even though that aspect of the work didn't bother you before. If you decided that you wanted to go to college then so that you could switch to a different line of work, you would probably have to do it part-time, on top of a job (and probably one that paid less than your long-distance truck driving job because you would need a job without travel so you could go to class), and on top of your family responsibilities. </p>

<p>I have known people who have successfully obtained college degrees under such circumstances, including one who became a registered nurse at the age of 35, while working as a home health care aide and raising two children, but it can be brutally difficult.</p>

<p>Ahem....my dad is a retired interstate truck driver. He earned a great living and supported our family well. There is NOTHING WRONG with this job...it is hard work that takes the same dedication as any other job. The licensing to drive a big rig is a course in and of itself. Good luck to you...I think it's a great opportunity.</p>

<p>I know someone who was a truck driver for a long time before he went to law school. When I met him he was in his mid 50s and he was a successful attorney.</p>

<p>Bada09:
I chose a path similar to yours when I was 18. By the time I was 23, although I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life, I clearly knew what I didn't want to do with my life. Fortunately I was still able to return to school (starting at a local community college and then transferring to a 4-year engineering school).</p>

<p>I guarantee that you will someday (soon) wake up and decide you want to get out of trucking and into something better. School will be your ticket to moving forward. Even though you'll have the determination to give 100% to schooling, your return will be much more difficult if you have a significant other, kids to feed, car payments, mortgage payments, etc.</p>

<p>In other words, keep your lifestyle options open, which will give you the greatest flexibility when you decide that you will want to invest in your life.</p>

<p>And make sure you bank some of your earnings...if you drive interstate, you can earn quite a decent salary. We know a student who did this as a summer job and earned a LOT of money. Keep your options open.</p>

<p>No it would not "doom you" in fact it would probably be the beginning of a lively interview. I'm assuming you're a young peson thinking of delaying college and I, too, think if it's something you want to do that you should be allowed to do so. Be prepared that your parents, if they were going to pay for college, might change their tune and you might be on the hook for college costs in a few years if that's the direction you go. With regard to truckers in general, I know a few (male) college eduated journalists who are now truckers and stringer/freelance writers. They do not seem espcially unhappy and rather enjoy the freedom they have. One is a short haul and one is long haul. They find the work interesting, the flexibility a positive, and the pay alot more steady and secure than other industries.</p>

<p>How are you going to school, while being a trucker. My employers paid for my college education, while I was working full time. But I was at the office for 9 hours, going to classes in a evening. I cannot imagine adjusting your working hours to school demands, even if you take classes on-line. Trucker is extremely demanding job.</p>

<p>Of course, what your parents are saying is a little extreme, but there is a lesson there. While taking a job as a "trucker" will not "doom" you, there will probably be a little social stigma and some employers may question what encouraged you to leave trucking and take a desk job/ white collar position.</p>

<p>If you have the chance to go to college now, take it because you will have more options in general. You can be a trucker after college if you still want to, but at least your options will be open by going to college.</p>

<p>I think you need to provide more conext to your question. Is the trucking job one that you'll have during college or after you get your degree? If it's during or before college then it's a plus to have it on your resume since it shows a willingness to work and more job experience. If it's after you've achieved your degree then the question is, is this your chosen profession or are you doing this because you can't find a job in your profession? </p>

<p>Note that the trucking industry has drivers, loaders, schedulers, managers, marketers, IT, and all kinds of other positions.</p>