I would love to be a Wolverine except...

<p>Not sure if I'm going to be accepted! My sister goes to UM (class of '14) and loves it and I would really like to follow in her footsteps. Just wondering if I could get some experienced opinions on my chances.</p>

<p>Here's my stats:</p>

<p>-3.76/4.0 GPA
-31 ACT
-SAT: 720 math, 660 reading, 590 writing (1380/1970)
-Top 15% (top 50 ranked HS in Texas)
-Out of state
-Non minority male
-Completed a 160 hour paid internship with an oil production co this summer (applied, interviewed etc..)
-Taken several business courses at school
-Member of business club at school
-60 total service hours
-Leader at a freshmen drug mentoring program at school
-Have had a job for almost an entire year
-Eagle Scout
-5 on US History and Language Comp. AP's
-Rigorous classes (Honors/AP)
-NHS Member</p>

<p>Thx for all the help I really appreciate any advice/answers I get.</p>

<p>u'll prolly get in, just have good/creative essays and maybe try to get ur GPA higher, an d apply EA of course.</p>

<p>Because you're OOS, I recommend that you improve your SAT score, so that you will be able to provide the university with two solid admissions tests' scores. Another option would be to not send in your SAT score at all, and increase your ACT score by just a tiny bit: a 33+ will put you in a higher league per se of OOS applicants.</p>

<p>Everything else looks fine. What you lack in community service hours (60 hours will pale in comparison to the many applicants with 200+ hours) you make up for in unique experiences; the admissions committee will really enjoy reading about your internship, as most other applicants will not have had such an awesome opportunity. Make sure you mention it in your essay!</p>

<p>I think you will get accepted. Match.</p>

<p>First of all thanks for the help, I really do appreciate every bit of it!
There are few things though: I cannot raise my GPA b/c my school locks in GPAs after junior year (stupid I know). Secondly, I am not sure if I will be able to raise my standard tests scores simply b/c I studied my ass off for those and I can't see me bumping them up anymore.
Basically what I posted is what UMich will see... the question is will that be enough?
Lastly, doctor1468 in regards to your reply, do you think my internship if I discussed it in my essays and such, could be enough to cover for my lower SAT/ACT scores?</p>

<p>just don't send in ur SAT score at all, MI prefers ACT anyways</p>

<p>Aren't your standard tests scores sent automatically to the schools you select when you register for the SAT?... So how could you not send your scores?</p>

<p>your GPA will improve because they will see your 1semester grades if you are deferred. You should retake the ACT because admission could go either way with your stats because you are OOS. If michigan really is your top school i would start writing your essays NOW and make them amazing.</p>

<p>If you put U-Mich on your ACT and SAT when you registered for the test, then yes, they already got the scores. Why not take the ACT again, this time don't put any school down when you register. Most people who re-take the SAT or ACT test get a higher score. If you do better, you can then pay to have the score sent to U-Mich. I would kind of worry about the SAT writing score. Outstanding teacher recommendations would be a big help.. if your teachers were to say that you took initiative, often contributed in class, talked to them after class, blah blah. I also agree it could be beneficial to talk about what you learned (about yourself) in your internship.. getting that internship shows initiative and ability to deal well with others, in itself. Good luck.</p>

<p>PS Eagle Scout I think they also really like. Lots of leadership-building there, too. You prob have some good experiences to talk about in your essays.</p>

<p>Once again thanks for all the input, really helped me realize the need to improve my SAT scores. With the thought that UM superscores, let's say I increased my writing score by about 50 points but my math and reading scores went down about 80 points each. Would UM look at those lower scores (math and reading) and think "this kid's going backwards" or would they simply add the writing score to my super score and forgot about the others? I'm not trying to be pessimistic but I'm not sure if I could increase my math and reading scores so that's why I said they would decrease. If i took the SAT in October when that be too late for EA (its the nearest available testing date)? And lastly would a 2020 SAT be considered a solid score for OOS?</p>

<p>-60 total service hours?
I figured if you were an eagle scout you'd have a lot more?</p>

<p>Going through the application process out of state with a handful of other students at my school, I can honestly say I think you've got a really decent chance of getting in. The Math and Critical Reading scores are usually also counted to be more important than your writing score and your score out of 1600 is a pretty good match for Michigan admission along with your GPA....if you pump up that writing a little more it shouldn't be a problem with a solid essay....you're definitely on the path to getting in though....just make sure you apply EA.</p>

<p>I'm pretty sure Michigan doesn't really have a preference between SAT and ACT all that much save for the fact that its a midwestern school and they have a history of affiliation with the ACT. And your 31 fits perfectly with your SAT score so just retake whatever you think you can improve in the most.</p>

<p>Wow thanks gailees I feel really stupid right now... that's my service hours from my schools volunteering club. I completely forgot about all other service hours hahaa, I guess it would be more like 100 hours then.</p>

<p>i had a slightly lower gpa, slightly higher act scores, same rigor in classes, same amount of good extracurriculars as you. I had very creative essays, and I applied EA (from private school in los angeles). I got deferred then got in, so I think you should be fine. Don't be discouraged if you do get deferred, 5 people from my high school did and then got in.</p>

<p>You have a good shot, but UM admissions are finicky even for ISS. I have friends who got in with 28s and others rejected with 32+.</p>

<p>Try to increase the ACT. As is, you already have a pretty good shot, I'd say 60% at least, but if you can increase the ACT, then much higher.</p>

<p>You have a "competitive shot" as they say. You're stats are basically part of the middle 50% of Michigan's. (I had virtually the same resume out of high school, except more engineering focused).</p>

<p>Also, something to consider about the OOS status. I actually think you'll have a better shot now than ever. With the state recently cutting funding the school will need to start accepting more OOS to make up the budget difference.</p>

<p>Like everyone above has said, you might want to consider getting your ACT higher (Michigan accepts either one, doesn't require both, and I don't think you have to send in all your scores). Also, focus on the essay. Other than that... Go Blue!</p>

<p>Make sure your essays are interesting. I had 5 5 4 4 4 3 3 3 for my AP scores, 250+ hours of volunteer work and a 31 and 32 on my ACT. I'm in-state non-minority.
I was accepted for Class of '15 with orientation tomorrow. Any chance you could take any more AP tests? Like people have said U of M accepts both SAT and ACT but in Michigan is much more affiliated with the ACT test, which isn't a problem really just something worth pointing out.</p>

<p>But like I said, don't be afraid to stand out with your essays!</p>

<p>I have a 1990 SAT with a 28 ACT with a weighted GPA of 4.1, 4 4 3 on my AP exams, and a 800 korean sat2, 770 on math 2, and 640 on chem sat and am applying to UM for the winter semester. I am really scared that all you are telling hometownstu to do better on his 31 ACTs... 31 is pretty decent i think...</p>