IB Benefits?

<p>What are the benefits of being in an IB school? I'm currently in one and it's ranked as the 35th best high school in America, but I don't see how any of that matters in getting accepted into a good university. I know that it'll give a good impression and that the Ib exams will give me a lot of college credit, but how will it help me getting ACCEPTED into a good university since Ib exams come after sending the college apps? Should I take AP exams? (I really want to get into an Ivy university, especially Princeton)</p>

<p>bump, somebody please respond x.x</p>

<p>I graduated from IB this year (no score results yet) and will be attending Princeton in the fall. I was also a recruited athlete though, for some perspective in my personal admissions process.</p>

<p>However, from my understanding, they don't really even look at AP/IB scores until placement. I'm sure a load of 5's on AP exams might give you the smallest of boosts, but many schools these days recognize IB as equal to or sometimes better than AP. It doesn't suffer as much as an 'unknown program' and I feel like schools respect it.</p>

<p>Additionally, I was impressed with the fact that Princeton mentioned IB on their admissions site, and not just AP- which some schools seem to do. It made me feel loved, haha.</p>

<p>Anyway, I would stick with it. Your school is clearly respected and such, and I feel like IB can actually give you a boost in admissions, as long as your grades are decent. Don't stress about AP exams- I had only taken 3, and I reported none, since our teachers just had us take them for something to do, honestly. Nobody really studied for them too much, we were focused on IB exams.</p>

<p>I think a problem with IB exams in your senior year is that they often run into AP exams, so you're somewhat limited in what, if any, you can take. If you have the time, and desire, to study for and take some AP tests, go for it, but I don't think it's necessary.</p>

<p>One more question, can I get the AP scholar award even though my school doesn't offer ap courses? x_x</p>

<p>AP Scholar = "granted to students who receive scores of 3 or higher on three or more AP Exams."</p>

<p>So it shouldn't matter if your school offers AP or not- you'll just have to take the exams yourself and stuff, I think.</p>

<p>Colleges (especially the top tier colleges) look to see if the applicants have taken the hardest and most rigorous course load available to them. By taking IB courses, you demonstrate that you have taken the most challenging courses available to you. If there were two 4.0 students with identical extracurriculars, but one had taken all IB classes and the other had taken all honors classes, it is likely they would select the applicant that had taken the IB courses.</p>

<p>IB as a program is way more cohesive than AP. The two programs, in short, are dramatically different. If done correctly, IB aims to get you to think critically and question the way you learn and the things you know (haha TOK.) Really, you'll be a better student and person for it if you do the IB program and that'll stand out in the college admissions process.</p>

<p>(I just took all my tests this past May...so I'm a bit biased. I also did AP too, so it's totally possible to become an AP Scholar, even it's somewhat of a useless title too.)</p>