<p>If I go to a state college like MU or SLU ect. can I get into a top medical school?</p>
<p>Yes. I went to a nonflagship state school that no one really knows, and now I’m at a “top” med school</p>
<p>While getting into a top medical school should not be your chiefest priority right now, the answer is that is entirely possible. Spend a few days in the Pre-Med forum and you will see that with a high MCAT (32+) and GPA (3.6+), the odds are in your favor, unless you flunk the personality and extracurricular elements.</p>
<p>If a state school allows you to graduate with minimal debt (at most 50k in loans), then that is a bonus. If it screens its applicants and has rampant grade deflation, then it might be less appealing.</p>
<p>You may want to find that information out on your own. </p>
<p>Good luck!</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>I’ll save you the time of looking it up: MU is cheap if you’re in state, I’ve never heard of nor experienced grade deflation there, and I’ve never heard of screening applicants (although the leadership at the honors college, which includes the premed committee, has recently changed, so perhaps the no screening thing will change). </p>
<p>I graduated from MU in 2011 and am currently an M2 at MU med. Friends from my undergrad class are in med school at top programs for both MD-only and MD/PhD. </p>
<p>It doesn’t matter where you go. It matters what you do once you get there.</p>
<p>“If I go to a state college like MU or SLU ect. can I get into a top medical school?”</p>
<p>The need to go to a “top med school” (however you define THAT) is not necessary. ALL US MD schools are very good. There aren’t any “so so” ones. They’re all excellent.</p>
<p>If SLU is St. Louis U…that isn’t a state univ. It’s private. It’s a Jesuit univ.</p>