So last semester I was enrolled at the university of Utah as an out of state student, but I did not enroll this semester and I only took 7 credit hours (I took a semester off to allow me to pay some money I owe to Utah).
This Summer and Fall I plan on going to Arizona State University as an in state student, but i am kind of confused as to what my status will be. I owe Utah money so they will not release my academic transcripts (long story, I owe about 8000 dollars to them). and on top of that I do not want to even transfer any credits, so will I still be considered a transfer student or will this be like a clean slate?
Depends upon the college. You need to check each schools transfer requirements so see if you will apply as a Transfer or a Freshman. Even if you have no transfer credits, you need to pay your bill at the University of Utah before you can apply at ASU. There is a Clearing House which will have a record of you attending Utah, so make sure you take care of your bill so you can then attend ASU.
This is from the ASU Website:
ASU welcomes applications from students with diverse academic backgrounds and interests. A freshman is defined as a student who has graduated from a regionally accredited high school and has completed fewer than 12 transferable college credits post-high school. Freshman applicants who possess a high school diploma and meet the following requirements will be admitted to ASU.
@Gumbymom The problem I’m having is that even though I’ve made good progress on my debt (its not loan debt either, its straight up unpaid bills to housing and tuition) they plan on sending me to collections in December, so it is gonna get increased by 30% to cover collection costs. In addition, I work a job that is part time and I cannot find another, so it could easily take 1-3 years for me to pay them back, pushing me to 21-23.
And, just to give background, Utah has the easiest rules for becoming an in state resident in the US. Simply live there for a year, get an ID, work there, and by the end of a year you will be a resident regardless of enrollment status. So, I decided to enroll and was going to take out a loan to cover me until my residency came through. Problem was it was far harder to get a private loan than I anticipated even with my mother cosigning. When my mother didn’t work my (estranged) dad with really good credit told me he would cosign, but he kept leading me on for like a month or 2 straight until finally pulling out. I wasn’t ever able to get a loan and so that residency plan fell through.
Would it be unwise to take out a debt consolidation loan? With my desired career track it is really important that I start as soon as possible as it will take a while as it stands for me to finish up all my schooling.
In order to be accepted to a degree program, you will need those transcripts. Contact the folks at U of Utah and work out a plan to settle your debt. The transcripts are necessary whether or not the credits are useful toward the degree program you enroll in.
Some places will allow you to enroll in one or two classes in non-degree status, but there is no aid for that, and sometimes coursework taken in non-degree status cannot be applied to a degree program if you decide to pursue a degree at that place. Speak with the folks at ASU and find out what your options are.
You will likely always need those transcripts. So you are going to have to pay Utah. When they release your transcript order several sealed sets now and keep them on hand.
Funny story. I graduated from college 25 years ago. Last year I decided I wanted to earn another degree, an associates, at a local community college. They would not admit me without the transcripts from 25 years ago. Seemed ridiculous to me.
@labegg - I know how you feel! I learned how this all works when I was nearly booted from a grad program after an audit of student files found one 30+ years old summer-school transcript missing. The class did show as transferred on my college transcript. I had to request the transcript twice, as the grad school received, but mislaid, the first copy. Now I have several sealed copies of everything in my files here at home just in case I need them.
We just need to remember that this isn’t so much about us as applicants, as it is about all of these educational institutions playing nice with each other. One missing transcript can place an institution’s accreditation at risk if that file is the one that gets pulled when the accreditation team strolls through the records office.
I recently went back to school to do some prereqs before applying to grad school. I worked my way through college and it took me 10 years and 4 colleges to earn my bachelors degree. The cc I enrolled in last fall wanted transcripts from all of them. The National Clearinghouse will catch any schools that are missing, so it’s better to get the situation with the college in Utah cleared up so you can move forward. Will they let you set up
a payment plan?