I'm in alot of trouble

<p>All right, here's my situation. I'm international student, in Singapore, and my college advisor does not have experience in the college process. He is more skilled in Singapore's universities. So, when I told that I was interested in both Princeton and Brown as my top two options, he told me that I can apply early decision to both of them. WHen the final letters came back from the two schools, I was excited to find that they had both accepted my application. After much thinking I had decided to choose Princeton over Brown, because Princeton is a much better institution, but when I called Brown to tell them this, they said that I could not take back my application and that I was "committed". So then I decided that I should go to Brown over Princeton, but when I called to tell THEM this, they also said I was "committed". What can I do?</p>

<p>wow.. i would call them and talk to them about it. cus.. what else can you do? :T dang, this is hard.</p>

<p>That's pretty bad. The only solution I can think of is to explain the situation to both schools and hope that you can work something out, but it's going to reflect very badly on your high school, at the very least. Good luck!</p>

<p>If you tell them you applied ED to 2 schools they will both revoke their decisions. You are simply not allowed to apply ED to more than one school (did you read the ED agreement before you signed it?????)</p>

<p><em>Technically</em> ED is only an agreement and not a legally binding contract. I do not recommend this, but you could accept both offers of admissions for now (and hope the two schools won't find out) and wait a few months and then tell one of them you decided to attend a university in your own country for a certain reason (think of a good one!!!!). There is nothing that the school can do about that...</p>

<p>Have your advisor call the schools and explain to them the situation.
They might take the situation more seriously if they talk to a 2nd party, so they know that it really was an accident, rather than some kid trying to "get around the system".</p>

<p>And PLEASE let us know what you eventually decide to do and how it workes out.</p>

<p>i second him/her ^ i'd like to know..</p>

<p>me as well</p>

<p>talk to your counseler or talk to your principal...i would let them call both schools, as they will revoke your admission if you say something...but if an adult form your school calls, they may be able to explain the accident...
however, do not be suprised if they revoke your admission...it will suck, and i hate to say its a big possibility, but you did sign a the application saying you will repeal all other applications AND are only applying to one ED school</p>

<p>That really sucks, sorry man. =(
Hopefully your counseler or principal can sort this out for you.</p>

<p>Maybe say to one of them that you're not satisfied with the financial aid package? I thought that was the only real legit way to get out of ED. That is...if you applied for financial aid.</p>

<p>did you do any research on your own when doing the application,....it is pretty clear about the restrictions and using the excuse of the counselor is lame</p>

<p>it was your responsility and as your english seems pretty good, and you were accepted to both , so obviouslly you understood the application,,,you should have known better, and blaming your GC is not fair, sure he was wrong, but it was ultimately your responsibilty and even here you are blaming others</p>

<p>I agree with citygirlsmom.
You signed the early decision agreement at both schools and it's almost impossible to believe, as smart as you are, that you didn't understand what you were signing.</p>

<p>"You signed the early decision agreement at both schools and it's almost impossible to believe, as smart as you are, that you didn't understand what you were signing."</p>

<p>Yes, and i think the folks at the admissions office will realize this too, the possibility of having both offers rescinded is very real, but good luck to you anyways.</p>

<p>I agree with citygirlsmom, too.</p>

<p>I don't want to dog the OP, but I agree with all the moms (LOL).</p>

<p>You knew what you were getting yourself into.</p>

<p>I don't believe the OP, I think he/she played the system. Most Singaporeans I've met who got into top US schools are too smart not to know about this process. ALso, from what I know about their JC (Junior College) system, they don't have GC's.</p>

<p>I dunno, somehow the OP comes off to me as halfway legit. And I'm a sucker for ignorance.</p>

<p>Maybe you could really just contact both schools anonymously (preferably from a number that wouldn't give away your identity) and see if you could somehow figure out a way that you could rescind one of them and convince them that if someone really honestly made that mistake they could be abdicated from that contract. Or... you could just somehow try and get your offer rescinded from one of them by having your GC just write that you've gotten a bunch of academic dishonesty infractions and your grades are dropping. Iunno, I'm not into being dishonest, so I hope the first one works out and you get to attend one of the institutions (because I assume that you haven't applied to any other top schools.. whose application deadlines have already passed). </p>

<p>Either way, if you've got the intelligence to be accepted at those insitutions as an international, you should do well anywhere you go.. so find out quick so you can apply to some US schools whose deadlines haven't passed yet (most good schools w/ late deadlines end about Jan 15 so hurry up!).</p>

<p>Good luck (if your situation is legit)..</p>

<p>The ED apps are very clear. The OP either knew or should have known. No sympathy is due and none should be given.</p>


<p>Early Decision is a plan under which first-year applicants to Brown may apply for admission in the fall of their senior year and receive an admission decision in mid-December. **Early Decision is intended for students who consider Brown their top choice and therefore are willing to make a binding commitment to attend Brown if admitted. Early Decision is reserved for applicants who have not applied to any other Early Decision or Early Action programs (Ivy League or non-Ivy League institutions). **Brown reserves the right to withdraw the applications of Early Decision applicants who do so. You may, however, apply to other colleges at any time under their respective Regular Admission programs.</p>

<p>Under the Early Decision program, almost all of your application credentials must be received by November 1. All completed Early Decision applications will be reviewed after December 1, and decision letters will be mailed in mid-December. At that time, you will be notified of one of three decisions: </p>

<li>Your application is accepted
You must withdraw all Regular Admission applications to other colleges. Your place in Brown's first-year class is secure pending satisfactory completion of your senior year.</li>

<p><a href="http://www.brown.edu/Administration/Admission/applyingtobrown/earlydecision.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.brown.edu/Administration/Admission/applyingtobrown/earlydecision.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Early Decision</p>

<p>*If you have determined that Princeton is your first choice, you may submit your application by November 1 and receive a decision from us by mid-December. Applying Early Decision constitutes a commitment to attend Princeton if you are offered admission. *</p>

<p>Early Decision application outcomes include: admission to Princeton; deferral of the final decision until after another review in the Regular Decision process; and refusal of admission. </p>

<p>Early Decision applicants must have taken the SAT Reasoning Test and SAT Subject tests no later than the November 2006 test date. </p>

<p>*Early Decision applicants may not apply under Early Decision or Early Action plans at any other college or university (but may submit Regular Decision applications elsewhere). *</p>

<p>Early Decision applicants who apply for financial aid and are offered admission in December will be notified of any aid awards at the same time. </p>

<p><a href="http://www.princeton.edu/pr/admissions/u/appl/06/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.princeton.edu/pr/admissions/u/appl/06/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>



<p>In addition, atleast at Princeton, Op would have had to sign their ED agreement with specifically states:</p>

<p>Under the Early Decision plan, it is a violation of the spirit and the letter of the agreement for an applicant to be an Early Decision or Early Action candidate at two or more institutions at the same time. Students who apply to Princeton under the Early Decision plan may initiate applications to other institutions, provided that none of the other applications is made under an Early Decision or an Early Action plan. The obligation explicit in the Early Decision plan, as described here and as defined by the National Association for College Admission Counseling, is a commitment on the part of the candidate to withdraw any other applications and to initiate no new applications if accepted under our Early Decision plan.</p>

<p>By checking this item and signing our names below, we acknowledge the terms of the Early Decision commitment. </p>

<p>Then it ask for a signature from the student, GC and Parent.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.princeton.edu/pr/admissions/u/appl/06/pdf/PU_appl_0607_earlyagree.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.princeton.edu/pr/admissions/u/appl/06/pdf/PU_appl_0607_earlyagree.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I agree with simpletruth, that Op may have been trying to play fast an loose with the system as both school are pretty up from in plain and simple english about ED at their school. don't see either school backing downOp must also be prepared for the possiblity that he could lose his spot at both schools.</p>