I'm never going to get in, am I?

<p>I live in the south of Ireland. Yep, basically the middle of nowhere. Because I’m in the 15-17 age group, there are no parts for me in theater productions (roles are for either under 12 or over 18). We don’t have community theater here either. And acting classes are very expensive. That combined with my parents disdain for acting and the performing arts - I don’t stand a chance of going to an acting class. But I try practicing on my own and studying other actors on stage and in movies…</p>

<p>And I know this is a MT forum but even if I applied for Undergrad Drama, would I ever stand a chance? I’m dedicated and I always do well at whatever I spend my time on. But without a snazzy resume does that even matter?</p>

<p>Tisch looks at each person's natural ability and potential for training. The lack of performing success in high school will not prevent you from getting in. On your resume, you should find a way to highlight your passion for theater, and what you've done with the limited options available to you. </p>

<p>How will you audition, though? Do you send in a DVD? Or are you coming to the States? My guess would be that having to send in a recording might handicap you, because the auditors can make a better assessment in person, I would imagine.</p>

<p>Your academics are important, too. If you do not fit in with the NYU accepted student profile, then don't bother applying.</p>

<p>I agree Nia, You have so much going for you. If you work your hardest and try you just don't know what kind of opportunities will open up for you. Don't give up before you have started. Get into a good school, write a good essay about what kind of challenges you have overcome. Discuss your ambition and what you have done to find your way in spite of difficult circumstances. Inspire them to believe in you. Good Luck!</p>

<p>Alright Nia, take it from somebody who went through the NYU Tisch audition process. There is a section of the audition where they sit down with you individually and take a look at what you have accomplished (aka your resume and your headshot/large picture). They really like to see that you have taken steps to furthering your abilities. That is NOT to say that talent isn't what matters. It comes down to how well you can perform...but I strongly suggest doing anything you can to fill out that resume.</p>

<p>Nia, how do you even know you really want to major in theatre? What year are you going into? </p>

<p>One benefit of doing lots of theatre, especially a summer intensive that's 30+ hours/week of theatre, is that you'll find out if you really like it. MANY kids have changed their minds after going through a good summer program; they found it just wasn't for them.</p>

<p>If you have done little or no acting, some admissions people might think, this person might just bail on us after one semester. Granted, anyone might, but the chances are much higher for someone who hasn't experienced lots of acting or, especially, a good theatre program. I'm just guessing here, but a university is still a business. They don't want empty spots.</p>

<p>So if there's any way to do some real theatre training, do it! It isn't all about the resume. It's talent and commitment.</p>