Images in Statement Of Purpose?

<p>For those schools that allow the submission of SOPs as pdfs, what are peoples thoughts on adding images to the SOP. By images, I generally mean diagrams helping to outline a point, perhaps describing previous research that has been done. This is probably unconventional, but I don't see why a well judged image would not be beneficial to an application; humans generally like visual things, and it certainly makes one memorable.</p>

<p>As an example, I included an image in the research objectives document (in some ways similar to the SOP), for a well known scholarship and was successful in that application. I was trying to explain my research in small world and scale free networks, and an image makes it much easier to understand the difference between the two. Granted, the commission was likely less scientifically literate than the people who will read my SOP.</p>

<p>Anyhow, any thoughts?</p>

<p>You're writing a statement of purpose about why you want to attend, not a dissertation. I'd recommend leaving them out and just writing your words concisely and clearly.</p>

<p>Honestly, you should be able to write what exactly you're trying to say. Otherwise, it will seem like you don't know how to write.</p>

<p>Interesting, thanks for the advice.</p>

<p>I would disagree that having an image makes it appear as if you don't know how to write, or indicates some deficiencies in an ability to write concisely.</p>

<p>I also asked, the person from the scholarship commission who dealt with my application and she replied:</p>

<p>"I think you should include the diagram in your statement. I know it's a little unorthodox, but it was a real crowd pleaser during the committee review here, so I'm thinking that admissions committees might like to see that as well."</p>

<p>I guess it's a matter of opinion then.</p>