In Job Hunt, College Degree Can’t Close Racial Gap (NYTimes)

<p>

[quote]
Johnny R. Williams, 30, would appear to be an unlikely person to have to fret about the impact of race on his job search, with companies like JPMorgan Chase and an M.B.A. from the University of Chicago on his r</p>

<p>“Surprised looks and off-hand comments” !!??? This is terrible. I’m surprised that this is happening in blue states.</p>

<p>Maybe it’s an MBA for that particular school. I know an Asian and a Caucasian with MBA from U of C and they told me the MBA degree did not help them. They are back doing the jobs with their undergraduate degree from McGill.</p>

<p>^^^
An MBA from UChicago shouldn’t be a hindrence.</p>

<p>However, some find it easier to work first, then get the MBA.</p>

<p>Maybe the intellectual/theory part does not help in business. Just my guess. Not everybody with an MBA degree from a top school will do well.</p>

<p>May just be that employers and colleges view URMs differently, and the former may view diversity as less important than the latter.</p>

<p>dad<em>of</em>3</p>

<p>I don’t think the job applicant is looking for any special treatment for being a URM. I think he is just looking for a fair shot with race not being a factor at all.</p>

<p>^ Ditto. [10 char]</p>

<p>We just read this article for one of my classes: [Economic</a> Scene; Sticks and stones can break bones, but the wrong name can make a job hard to find. - The New York Times](<a href=“http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/12/business/economic-scene-sticks-stones-can-break-bones-but-wrong-name-can-make-job-hard.html?scp=1&sq=sticks%20and%20stones+2002&st=cse]Economic”>http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/12/business/economic-scene-sticks-stones-can-break-bones-but-wrong-name-can-make-job-hard.html?scp=1&sq=sticks%20and%20stones+2002&st=cse)</p>

<p>It is about a study done where a bunch of resumes were crafted to reflect similar levels of education and experience, and they used “black sounding” names for one set and “white sounding” names for the other and compared the likelihood of being called back for an interview.</p>

<p>This is the most disturbing quote from TwistedxKiss’ link:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I have seen this first hand many times. It is important that people who work in organizations where this type of discrimination occurs do everything they can to fight it. It is pernicious. For a time I worked in predominately minority college, I was approached at a meeting by a group of other college administrators and asked what it was like to work with “those” administrators pointing to my colleagues. I was incredulous, and asked what was it like to work with “those” administrators pointing to their colleagues. They looked confused and seemed shocked at my behavior, got up from where they were sitting and walked away.</p>

<p>I remember when I worked at a large hospital in CT, one of my supervisor’s was racist. We never had any minorities working in the department (unless they were very low level) You would see them come to interview, some very qualified, but they never got the job. Someone complained, pressure was put on and he ended up hiring someone obviously not suited for the job. I felt, among others, that was to “show them” it just didn’t work out. Luckily I heard he moved on.
I have observed this in other places too and being white, sometimes am privey to way too much information from others that I’d rather not know. It is a teaching moment though, although it makes others very embarassed and angry.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I genuinely don’t mean to be snarky here, but, have you lived in a blue state? The dynamics of the racism are different (I grew up in red states and live in a blue state now, so I’ve observed both), but blue states are far from devoid of racism.</p>

<p>^^ Agreed. I live in Michigan, and it is one of the most racially segregated states.</p>

<p>Raciam exists everywhere. You will have bigoted people in all states.</p>

<p>I lived in MI for several years and experienced this, too, tenisghs. Even found this attitude in MI not only with race, but religion too. Coming from a mid-sized city in the mid-Atlantic region, I found this surprising.</p>

<p>I’ll bet that name study would show even starker results if you compared “white” names with Middle Eastern names (that might even explain why, in the actual study, “Aisha” did the worst–it may sound Islamic).</p>

<p>

[quote]
nlikely person to have to fret about the impact of race on his job search, with companies like JPMorgan Chase and an M.B.A. from the University of Chicago on his r</p>

<p>Didn’t we just have a thread about a caucasian guy with an undergraduate degree from Wharton and can’t find a job yet.</p>