In Need Of Advice

<p>Hello everyone, I am new to this site and was hoping that I might be able to get some advice from you all in regard to how I should proceed.</p>

<p>First, though, I will give you a bit of background information. I am a 25 year old male that has been attending a small University of Texas school in south Texas off and on since 2003. Since attending said university, I have successfully completed 39 credit hours in a variety of subjects. I have never received financial assistance of any sort from the school because I knew that there were others that needed it more than I did. Things were paid for via odd jobs and supplemental income from my parents. Since enrollment, I have attempted over 100 credit hours, but as I said earlier, I completed roughly a third of those. I have suffered from severe undocumented depression that stems from being sexually abused as a child. I never reported this crime to the police and I have never sought out therapy, so I do not believe any sort of disability services program would be able to help me out. </p>

<p>Now, as a result of my awful degree completion progress, I am unable to receive any sort of federal financial assistance. I understand that this is a direct consequence of my flaky performance over the years and do not whine about it. </p>

<p>I am considering moving to the Chicago area this August and was considering transferring my credits to a community college thereabout. My cumulative GPA was once a 0.0 with numerous F's and DF (drop fail) markings, but I have since brought it up to a 2.39 with the help of my academic adviser. I would like to major in mathematics and graduate with a bachelors degree from a four-year institution eventually, but I do not know how to proceed. Mathematics is one of the few things in this world that I like and while the only mathematics class I have completed at a collegiate level is college algebra, I have educated myself, over the years, to the level of introductory analysis. I could easily pass out of the AP Calculus AB/BC examinations, but I do not understand how the credits work and I rarely have the ability to allot time during the day for things such as this since I work two jobs. </p>

<p>I'm not looking for a magical way out of this and I'm willing to work my way back up, so give it to me straight. Thanks! :)</p>

<p>In my opinion, I think you need to get help / therapy first to help you deal with the trauma you face from what you experienced as a child.
It might be a good idea for you to enroll at a local community college first and get things sorted out.
Good luck (:</p>

<p>Hey man, thanks for sharing. First, I think you have great determination and I admire that. You asked for it straight, so here you go: My advice is to enroll at a community college and get those grades up. If you want to get into a good 4 yr college to get the BA in Math, then you should strive for a 3.0. But keep in mind to not take too many credits because some schools do not let students apply for transfer if they have too many. So check with schools that you are interested in. Keep working hard and figure out a system for yourself to keep those grades up. It must be tough to find time to study while working 2 jobs and I'd hope an admission counselor would be sympathetic towards that.
Anyway man, I like most people who will respond to you are just fellow students. You should call an admissions officer at a college you are interested in and explain to them your situation and ask what they are looking for. You'll find better answers there. Best of luck!</p>