In need of financial aid.

<p>To whom it may concern.</p>

<p>I am a US citizen who has lived her whole life Middle East. I have finally managed to enroll myself at Al-faisal university in Riyadh, in the College of Medicine. The tuition fee per annum here is quite expensive. It is getting a bit too hard on my Dad. I was wondering if I am eligible of any scholarship from the US govt.

<p>For med school? No. </p>

<p>The only federal grants that are available are small ones for low income students in undergrad. I'm not even sure if Pell Grants and such can be used at schools abroad. </p>

<p>If your dad is currently paying your tuition, then maybe his income is too high for such aid anyway???</p>

<p>Not really, I enrolled here cause I had a few family issues for which I couldnt head back to US. Currently he is trying to pay my fees but it's getting hard on the whole family since my brother is in his 5th year of Medicine as well. I don't need it for the whole five year course, even if it's just a semester it would be alright. I was just simply looking out if I could receive any federal aid in such circumstances.</p>

<p>There are no federal scholarships for graduate school, lasting a semester or five years. There are federal loan programs though; I don't know if they can be used outside the US, or if getting a loan would even be feasible in your situation, but the option might be available.</p>

<p>My understanding is that federal funds can be used for accredited programs only. I could be mistaken, but I find it hard to imagine that any school outside the United States would have the necessary accreditation. I also find it hard to imagine that any lender would authorize the distribution of funds outside the US - there would be no accountability!</p>

<p>There are no US government grants for professional [medicine, law] or graduate education that occurs outside of the US.</p>

<p>Students at some foreign colleges may be eligible to take out unsubsidized student loans IF their school is on the FAFSA approved list. </p>

<p>Unfortunately, your particular college is not.</p>

I find it hard to imagine that any school outside the United States would have the necessary accreditation


<p>Actually there's a whole list of foreign universities where US citizens can receive federal student loans--including a a decent number of foreign medical schools.</p>

<p>To search to see if a college is aid-eligible, go here:</p>

<p><a href=""&gt;;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>enter "foreign country" as the state and the name of the institution.</p>

<p>Thanks for the clarification, WayOutWestMom - I stand corrected!</p>

<p>Thankyou very much!</p>