In-state residency

<p>Just out of curiosity, is it possible to gain in-state residency for most universities if you move and reside with a family member in that state for a certain period of time (after graduation from high school)?</p>


<p>A dependent student's Residency is usually based on their parents State of residency. And for most States the parents have to have lived there for a year, sometimes two, before the student starts college.</p>

<p>Right, but I've heard that it's possible through proper legal channels if legal guardianship is transferred to that family member and if the parents cease to claim you as a dependent.</p>

<p>No. Only if, during your minority, your parents relinquished all parental rights and were legally adoped by that family member.</p>



<p>No. Everyone else has covered the reasons. There are at least three other threads dealing with this.</p>

<p>The deal are a resident for instate tuition purposes where you LIVE with your parents...and where your parent's permanent address is. In other words, this is your home you live in now....not some other relative, not a vacation home...and not your own apartment. </p>

<p>The only way you can gain that instate tuition status is to have your whole family move to the new state. Live there a year prior to attending college...then apply as an instate resident.</p>

<p>What if your parents move after you get to college? Do you lose instate tuition?</p>

<p>UC schools allow you to remain a resident if you entered the school as one, as long as you attend continuously and don't take time off. If you take time off, even to attend a study abroad throug another school you would then have to reapply to attend the school and resubmit your residency forms</p>

<p>Here is what Berkeley says:</p>

<p>If your parents are not residents of California for tuition purposes or if you were not previously enrolled in a regular session at any University of California campus prior to Fall 1993, you will be required to be financially independent in order to be a resident for tuition purposes. If you are an adult student and your parents are not California residents, you must demonstrate financial independence, along with physical presence and intent, when seeking resident classification for tuition purposes. You are considered "financially independent" if one or more of the following applies: (1) you are at least 24 years of age by December 31 of the year you request residence classification; (2) you are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces; (3) you are a ward of the court or both of your parents are deceased; (4) you have legal dependents other than a spouse or a registered domestic partner; (5) you are married, a registered domestic partner, a graduate academic student, or a graduate professional student and you were not/will not be claimed as an income tax deduction by any individual other than your spouse or domestic partner for the tax year preceding the term for which you are requesting resident classification; or (6) you are a single undergraduate student who was not claimed as an income tax deduction by your parents or any other individual for the two tax years immediately preceding the term for which you are requesting resident classification, and you can demonstrate self-sufficiency for those years and the current year. Note: Graduate students who are graduate student instructors, teaching or research assistants, or teaching associates employed at 49% time or more (or awarded the equivalent in University-administered funds. e.g., grants, stipends, fellowships) in the term for which resident classification is sought are exempt from the financial independence requirement.</p>

<p>So, basically, if my mom is planning to move shortly after I go to college, choosing a state school will only help me for freshman year? She doesn't know where she's going yet, though...</p>



<p>Actually many (if not most) state schools say that whatever you enroll as is what you remain as. In other words, if you matriculate as an out of stater, you remain an out of stater for tuition purposes. As posted above for the UC's, if you matriculate as an instate student you remain an instater for tuition purposes as long as you take NO time off.</p>

<p>SO...if you apply as an instate student to a state public university in the state where you live NOW (as a high school senior), it is likely you will retain the instate rate until you graduate regardless of where your family lives. BUT YOU NEED TO CHECK EACH SCHOOL...this policy varies.</p>