In state tuition

<p>hi i'm a us citizen and my child is an immigrant will he have to pay out of country tuition.</p>

<p>Have you legally adopted him/her?</p>

<p>he's my biological son and is going through naturalization.he been going to school in the us since he was five and recently graduated.</p>

<p>What is your question? Wikipedia seems to have the info about citizenship. Birthright</a> citizenship in the United States of America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Some states may offer in-state tuition but you'd have to check where you live for that.</p>

<p>There is no such thing as out-of-country tuition. You pay in-state or out-of-state tuition for State schools, based on whether you live in that state. Out-of-country would naturally be out-of-state for any state.</p>

<p>Being a US citizen does not confer in-state or out-of-state on anyone automatically. You can be a US citizen and still be out-of-state for all State schools, if you live outside of USA.</p>

<p>I assume your child (?) was over 18 (yrs) when you became a citizen. If he was under when when you are a citizen, he would be a citizen automatically (disclaimer: this is not legal advice).</p>

<p>what do i do in order for him to get in state tuition?</p>

<p>Some community colleges have an international rate for tuition.</p>

<p>OP--if you are a resident of the state don't your dependents (children) pay in-state tuition?</p>

<p>wow, how does that work? If OP is US citizen, then isn't the citizenship also granted to his biological child even if he/she was born outside the U.S? Just curious.</p>

<p>Perhaps the child did not live here when the parent attained citizenship? I also thought that children under 18 became citizens along with their parents. I am no expert.</p>

<p>It's more complex than that. From the Wiki site above:
The following conditions affect children born outside the US and its outlying possessions to married parents (special conditions affect children born out of wedlock: see below):[6]</p>

<pre><code>* If both parents are US citizens, the child is a citizen if either of the parents has ever lived in the US prior to the child's birth
* If one parent is a US citizen and the other parent is a US national, the child is a citizen if the US citizen parent has lived in the US for a continuous period of at least one year prior to the child's birth
* If one parent is a US citizen and the other parent is not, the child is a citizen if
o the US citizen parent has been "physically present"[7] in the US before the child's birth for a total period of at least five years, and
o at least two of those five years were after the US citizen parent's fourteenth birthday.

<p>It is even more murky if the parents were not married.</p>

<p>OP, What state do you live in? If your son applies as an international he will be in a generally more competitive pool. Most schools require international students to prove they can pay for school and offer few scholarships/grants.</p>

<p><a href=""&gt;;/a&gt;&lt;/p>