Inception--with spoilers

<p>If you saw the movie and would like to discuss it, I have some questions. If you haven't seen it yet--this discussion could spoil some surprises.</p>

<p>Here's my question: Whose mind are they entering in the main plot of the movie? Is it Ariadne's--after all, she designed the levels, and Cobb doesn't know their details. So it seems like it has to be her mind, not his. But if it's her mind, then how come Cobb's complex construction is there in "limbo?" I know it's not supposed to be the target's mind--his mind populates the dream with "projections."</p>

<p>Another question--are we supposed to think that it's a good thing that the dying man's empire is going to be broken up? Because his son is totally deceived by the main characters.</p>

<p>And here's a thought--I wonder if the "real" action of the movie ends when Cobb goes to sleep in the cellar in Africa.</p>

<p>Finally, a critique: I liked the movie a lot, but I thought the snow fortress action sequence went on *way *too long, with characters who I couldn't identify shooting at each other and beating each other up.</p>

<p>
[quote]
But if it's her mind, then how come Cobb's complex construction is there in "limbo?"

[/quote]
</p>

<p>They said that limbo is filled with the remnants of the limbo creations of whoever is sharing the dream. If none of the people in limbo had been there before, it would have been empty.</p>

<p>How do projections work? This was my main question.</p>

<p>^ Could you clarify your question?</p>

<p>That's it. Like in general, how do they work.</p>

<p>Because I did not understand who was dreaming at each level, which was probably an oversight on my part. So, if you want very specific questions, here we go:</p>

<p>1) What is the mechanism by which projections appear? How do they respond? What do they do? I think I know, but I want to make sure.
2) Who is dreaming at each level of the dream? I assume limbo exists outside of the dreamer
3) Why do the protagonists' projections appear in other people's dreams, but no one seems to find this odd at all? Unless they are his dreams, which is impossible because the third level is definitely Fisher's.</p>

<p>
[quote]
What is the mechanism by which projections appear? How do they respond? What do they do?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>My understanding is that the central dreamer (is this what they refer to as the subject?) populates the environment with people, called projections. They behave as they normally would in the real world (as per the dreamer's concepts of them) unless they sense a foreign entry, in which case they act to defend the dreamer's mind. The sharers of the dream can also produce projections, but these attract attention.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Who is dreaming at each level of the dream? I assume limbo exists outside of the dreamer

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Yes, limbo exists outside anyone's mind. Fischer is the subject during all of the dream levels. </p>

<p>
[quote]
Why do the protagonists' projections appear in other people's dreams, but no one seems to find this odd at all?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Each time that Cobb's projections appeared, he would get suspicious glances from the subject's projections.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Each time that Cobb's projections appeared, he would get suspicious glances from the subject's projections.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>That's not what I was talking about, but you inadvertently answered my question in your first post.</p>

<p>So, sharers in the dream can create projections. How do they prevent themselves from doing this?</p>

<p>
[quote]
So, sharers in the dream can create projections. How do they prevent themselves from doing this?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I think that they have to be created consciously, unless one's subconcious is not being properly regulated, as in Cobb's case.</p>

<p>The kids at the end...looked the same...wearing the same clothes as they did when Cobb saw them in a dream state (except he now sees their faces). I'm guessing the top keeps spinning?</p>

<p>
[quote]
The kids at the end...looked the same...wearing the same clothes as they did when Cobb saw them in a dream state (except he now sees their faces).

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Yes, I saw this as one of the strongest pieces of evidence that he is still dreaming.</p>

<p>^I thought they used different actors for the kids, though.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I think that they have to be created consciously, unless one's subconcious is not being properly regulated, as in Cobb's case.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>What would be the purpose of a conscious projection, or was that not explained in the movie? Just wondering.</p>

<p>One of the characters disguises himself as another person in the dream--I guess that's sort of a conscious projection. It's clear that Cobb's projections are out of control--that's why the train appears in the street, for example.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>At each level it's a shared dream - apparently thanks to that clever device they carry around in the briefcase that somehow allows all the sleepers to log in to the same dream.</p>

<p>
[quote]
At each level it's a shared dream - apparently thanks to that clever device they carry around in the briefcase that somehow allows all the sleepers to log in to the same dream.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Then why in the second level did the Point Man state that the projections were looking for him specifically?</p>

<p>Also, did the non-Fischer characters have to make a special effort not to let any of their projections appear? What if they hadn't? Would the world have been much more populated? Ellen Paige's projections would have certainly been problematic as she was the architect.</p>

<p>Oh, wow. I haven't seen this movie but wanted to read this thread in the hopes it would shed some light on the movie when I see it. I'm going to be very confused.</p>

<p>Don't worry guys. This thread doesn't spoil the movie--it's completely incomprehensible!</p>

<p>According to an article on the Cinema Blend website, each of the three dream levels is dreamed by a different person--the first (the van) by Yusuf, the second (the hotel) by Arthur, the third (the snow fortress) by Eames. But you can't prove it by me--I had no clue about any of that when I saw the movie. I have a feeling the people who come up with these analyses of Inception have seen it multiple times. Good deal for Nolan's wallet, I guess, but if I can't comprehend the ins and outs of a movie on the first try, it's a failure. I want an evening's entertainment, not a new career.</p>

<p>Yes, the first level was Yousuf's( it was raining because he downed a glass of wine right before they went into the dream. He also stayed behind while others moved to the next level. Same thing with the next two levels. Arthur and Eames. There were remarks about this in the movie( I've only seen it once), but one had to pay close attention, I guess. Needless to say, I really enjoyed the film. :-)</p>

<p>So how is it that the third level represented Fischer's subconscious despite the fact that the architect built it? And what is the purpose of the dreamer, given that he does not build the stages.</p>

<p>I will see it again, I promise. :p</p>

<p>I think the idea is that Fischer's subconscious "populates" the states, not only with projections, but with ideas.</p>

<p>So the vault was a construction of the Architect's? What, then, is the purpose of the dreamer?</p>