Income Tax/Food Stamp/Financial Aid. Serious answer only

<p>I'm 22 years old currently receiving Food Stamp but my mom claimed me as dependent. (I only state that I provide $200 a month to pay for house expenses) Question is if I can still be her dependent or I have to file as independent?</p>

<p>Even If my mom claims me this year can I change the amount of allowances ( to withheld less taxes) or I'm obligated to put 0?</p>

<p>Is it true that FAFSA and INCOME is different. For example, If I'm independent this year I can still be dependent of my mom in FAFSA?
I may do same or lil more as past year ($9,000.00) I owe both Federal and local taxes (NY) ($500.00 for both)</p>

<p>I think you should repost this in the FA forum</p>

<p>Dependence for financial aid purposes is not the same as dependence for federal income tax. When you file the FAFSA, follow that set of guidelines to determine if you are dependent or not. When you file your federal income tax return, follow that set of guidelines. If you also file a state and/or local tax return, follow the guidelines specified for that return.</p>

<p>For mor specific guidance about your financial aid application, post your questions in the Financial Aid Forum. The folks there will be able to help you.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>If you are resellling the food stamps to the wino at the door of the grocery you will be in more trouble than you can imagine.</p>

<p>Mater, why would you post something like that? There's nothing to indicate this student is doing anything fraudulent. Obviously you're not paying attention at the grocery store these days. The SNAP benefits are electronically loaded onto a card similar to a debit card and require a code/PIN, so it would be difficult to give them to a random stranger.</p>

<p>milu, do you live with your mom? I don't understand the $200 part. Anyway, if you provide more than 50% of your own support then your mom should not claim you on her taxes (support includes educational expenses). You're still her dependent for FAFSA unless you can answer yes to one of the other qualifying questions (married, grad student, etc.).</p>

<p>If you owe both federal and state taxes, why would you want to increase your exemptions? Or do you mean that is the tax and you're actually receiving a refund? You aren't obligated to claim 0...bump it to 1 if you're getting a refund and taking your own personal exemption.</p>