Insurance for grad before job starts

<p>I know we had threads about this, but can't find them any more. S graduated in May 2010 & his insurance ends in a few days. His job starts sometime in January. Suggestions on insurance between now & then? I have sent an e-mail to his university alumni association about the question. Any other suggestions. I think their policy was $400-500/month.</p>

<p>Adult children up to age 26 can now be covered on their parents' insurance. This is explained here: Want</a> to put your adult child on your insurance? Here's how - USATODAY.com</p>

<p>If possible, this would be your best bet.</p>

<p>Many friends have said they've bought health insurance with high deductibles for their kids at BlueCross for less than $150 per month. Since kids are young and healthy, they just want insurance for catastrophic events like accidents.</p>

<p>We have bought a high deductible individual policy for our 24 yr old grad student son after he was kicked off of my employer based policy last December.
We will be able to add him back this fall for Jan 1st under the new health insurance rules.
There are many plans to choose from, varying by state adult child lives in.
We searched through ehealthinsurance dot com and found it very user friendly.</p>

<p>We can only afford to protect him from the 'biggies' like in hospital costs so his policy does not cover Dr. visits, pharmacy, etc. He pays out of pocket for those.
But the plan we found covers 100% after deductible of $2500 so we know what could be incurred each year. Other families might be comfortable with a 20% unlimited copay, iwe were not. I work at a hospital and know how quickly costs mount even for a short admission.</p>

<p>Good luck</p>

<p>Doesn't the temp insurance have one renewal period?</p>

<p>The cost for HI for a 20's person is relatively inexpensive (80/20, no meds, 1-5K deductible). Some companies will only start HI after completion of probation period, 6mns, or # hours completed. May be a good idea to keep HI for the 1st year of "permanent" employment.</p>

<p>I happen to be risk adverse. Too much to loose.</p>

<p>I did COBRA for my son because our young adult stuff at work doesn't kick in until January. My brother in law's employer let people keep the grads on but our company did not.
I didn't trust the high-deductible policies. I thought the limits were low and something that came up in the high severity range would exhaust them quickly.</p>

<p>I considered options through this website last year for my son; ultimately I COBRA'd him on my policy at work since it was just a two month gap.</p>

<p>Health</a> Insurance - Find Affordable Health Care Coverage and Buy Medical Insurance Plans Online</p>

<p>Our S lost coverage under H's policy in November, when he turned 22. He was on the university's policy & I don't believe we can now add him to H's cobra, but I'll check tomorrow, when they're open.</p>

<p>I was thinking of getting a GAP policy from the USC alumni association & calling them about it tomorrow. I'm pretty sure hubby's insurer won't start covering kids over 22 until open season in 2011, with is spring. By then, his job will have started. Am glad it will help extend protection to our D tho.</p>

<p>Have just sent an e-mail to both current insurer & alumni association.</p>

<p>Thanks for these thoughts--I welcome more!</p>

<p>COBRA can only be used if your son was on the policy, and there is a limited time in which to elect (60 days).</p>

<p>Thanks for confirming that S isn't eligible to be under H's cobra policy. Will have to pursue other options & see about keeping him continuously insured. Do not want a lapse, since he does have some health conditions and it always seems better to keep continuous coverage.</p>

<p>COBRA isn't a policy. It's a mandatory offering of a CONTINUATION of a policy under which you were already covered. </p>

<p>The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) gives workers and their families who lose their health benefits the right to choose to continue group health benefits provided by their group health plan for limited periods of time under certain circumstances such as voluntary or involuntary job loss, reduction in the hours worked, transition between jobs, death, divorce, and other life events. Qualified individuals may be required to pay the entire premium for coverage up to 102 percent of the cost to the plan.</p>

<p>Thanks for the clarification. It still doesn't seem it would help S, since he's been only on the school policy since November & that policy will expire this week. Will have to see what continuation options are available through the policy he's now covered under & hope that will work until his policy through work will kick in.</p>

<p>Just found an old thread about medical insurance for USC by searching the USC forum. I knew it was somewhere.</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-southern-california/723907-usc-health-insurance-experiences.html?highlight=medical+insurance%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-southern-california/723907-usc-health-insurance-experiences.html?highlight=medical+insurance&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>the link that jrpar posted was recommended by my good friend who is an HR Director. There are some decent low cost plans available with reputable companies.</p>

<p>If you opt for a private insurance, perhaps you can find the same carrier that your son's intended firm uses.</p>

<p>Sad to read that under the terms of the policy offered to alumni, they exclude all pre-existing conditions you have been treated for in the past 5 years! That's cold comfort for folks who have pre-existing conditions!</p>

<p>S will be working for the federal government & have a choice of insurers when he starts working.</p>