interesting situation - question

<p>Well to make a long story short, one of the geniuses in my house threw a 2 by 4 out a 2nd floor window and it hit my car by accident. As you can imagine theres a pretty big dent that has to be repaired.</p>

<p>While I didn't really flip out at him, I told him that he will obviously be responsible for the repairs. I took the car to get an estimate today, at the place he even recommended, and now he wants to shop around several more places. The place he recommended is a honda dealer - and my car is a honda. Personally, I want the repairs done at a honda dealership because my car is a lease. He's being quite accusational about me not getting the estimate done on the right thing (as there are a few little dings on the car) or accusing me of trying to rip him off.</p>

<p>I have no problem taking him to get the estimates done, however, I don't see how I need to be inconvienced by this anymore than I need to be. Is it unreasonable for me to want it done at a certified honda repair shop - regardless if it is more expenses than at Joe Schmoe's Shop? Is it unreasonable for me to say I'm taking it to 1 or 2 more places, and then we're getting it fixed? Is it unreasonable for me to choose the place of repair - as long as the place gave an estimate roughly the same as other places?</p>

<p>Just wondering what the common courtesy of this type of situation is. I'd prefer not telling my parents, but if I do they will insist on it being done at a honda dealership and probably will end up suing him if there is some sort of issue. Anyone have any advice?</p>

<p>thanks</p>

<p>You are not being unreasonable to insist that the repairs be done at the place of your choice. You also have been more than kind in driving your car to get several estimates after your roommate's carelessness damaged it.</p>

<p>Sometimes insurance companies (as an example) will require several estimates - give you the money for the cheapest one, but let you get the work done wherever you want, with you paying the extra. Though I don't think you're being unreasonable at all, this might be an option for compromise.</p>

<p>Although I don't have any first hand experience, you might look up dealers or shops that do "paintless" dent removal.........depending of course on how large the damage is. Apparently some of these places can do quite good work with specialized tools, and avoid the repainting issue, which is always expensive and affects the value of the car somewhat.</p>

<p>You probably are aware of this , if only subconsciously, but these sorts of incidents, and the way people accept or deflect personal responsibility for them are the core of the singular way that we remember people. People who renege on responsibilities, (or make life so tough it becomes simpler to take them on yourself) make a statement that no one ever forgets in the future. </p>

<p>Get a couple more estimates. Chances are that they are likely to be fairly close. If the guy stands firm on the lowest one, take the money from that and make your own decision on whether to go out-of-pocket for the difference at the higher place.</p>

<p>Your request is quite reasonable.</p>

<p>Is an insurance company involved? If there could be and your house-mate doesn't want them involved, then I would use that as part of my "bargaining" position: You won't get insurance involved as long as the proposed solution works for you.</p>

<p>I use "bargaining" position in quotes, because where there's friendship involved, sometimes the reasonable way is less important than protecting the relationship. Although I must say, it's tempting to question the value of a friendship where one party tosses a 2x4 out the window and then wants to dictate the resolution to suit his needs.</p>