international business?

<p>so i see a lot of colleges offer international business as a major. what can you do with an undergrad in international business? it seems too broad to be a major</p>

<p>You are exactly right, International Business is too broad. Other than trading/regulation related careers (which econ majors may have more advantage) I'm not sure what Intl. Business alone can offer. Most super seniors (ones that had to stay for an extra semester/or year) in the Business college of my University are the ones that had to change their major from Intl. Business to another business major.</p>

<p>If you aren't capitalizing your prospective major even in the title of the thread, you need to pick a different one. May I say that the great thing about Engineering is that, as a proper noun, it commands respect and attention.</p>

<p>I've seen you post the same thing on other threads whistle. I'm not capitalizing because it's a forum. I'm not too concerned with punctuation. And I was just asking</p>

<p>Proper</a> noun encyclopedia topics | Reference.com
I Am Not Sure engineering Made The Cut For Proper Nouns.</p>

<p>Engineering is a proper noun as far as the internet is concerned because engineers created the internet. An engineer coded this board and was paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do so.</p>

<p>Also, engineers laugh at the rules of grammar and ridicule the worthless educations of English-major grammar nazis, especially when the two confront each other on the internet.</p>

<p>Whistle if you laugh at the rules of grammar then why do you always bring it up on threads</p>

<p>Haha, I don't know what Whistleblower said but it sure is nice to instead see:</p>

<p>"Whistleblower1
This message is hidden because Whistleblower1 is on your ignore list."</p>

<p>I don't see anything wrong with International business, I think it's great it gives you a wide aspect of the business world.</p>

<p>Today I was looking at jobs with my employer that I may be able to move into in the future once I graduate and one popped up specifically calling for a major in international business. The job is called "Import Development Manager I" in the global sourcing department and it pays 50-60k. Basically, it's someone who deals with foreign companies in order to get the highest quality products at the lowest price. It didn't ask for any specific work experience, just the international business degree, however it does call for the ability to speak multiple languages although it doesn't specify which ones or how many.</p>

<p>After looking at it again, the department wants someone with experiece in statistical package software, data mining, "linear and non-linear optimization", and "linear and logistic regression". I can't imagine a typical international business degree program would offer that kind of experience. Kind of sounds like they want a double major in international business and statistics or computer science.</p>

<p>The value of an International Business major is in exactly what it sounds like... the International part. Theoretically by the time you've graduated you've spent 6 months - 1 year in a country that you plan on working in/with closely after graduation, and have attained serious competency in that language. It's great if you know for sure what country you wish to work with, as you will develop a deep understanding of that culture and its language. </p>

<p>This cultural knowledge is about 1/2 of the major, the second half is made up of the business classes. Most programs will have you take several Finance, Accounting, and Management classes, as well as the International Business and import/export classes that are inherent in an IB program.</p>

<p>Being an International Business major probably won't make you directly qualified to become an Investment Bank Analyst or grant you entry-level access to the Administration of a corporation, unless you're applying to work in an office of theirs that is based in the country that you specialized.</p>

<p>This is also all relative and you'll get plenty of different answers as to the value of a thorough knowledge of another culture and language. I personally think that it opens many doors, but you don't have to do it through an International Business major. For example, you could reach the same end by double majoring in Finance and Chinese, or whatever version of East Asian Cultures majors your school offers. If you're looking to become an IB Analyst then this is more marketable than an International Business major.</p>

<p>BTW, as a side note if you're looking at developing a deep understanding of another culture, half of a language major is dedicated to studying the country that speaks that language, so you won't just be picking up a new language.</p>