International financial aid: How many do they take?

<p>How many internationals with finaid does Stanford take a year? Does anyone have a rough ballpark figure or even a rough percentage?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>According to [url=<a href="http://www.edupass.org/finaid/undergraduate.phtml%5Dthis%5B/url"&gt;http://www.edupass.org/finaid/undergraduate.phtml]this[/url&lt;/a&gt;] Stanford gives aid to 100-150 internationals per year.</p>

<p>^ That is probably total - not per year. About 140 international students matriculate each year.</p>

<p>Take a look also at [url=<a href="http://www.bibl.u-szeged.hu/reac-europe/intfinaid_awards.html%5Dthis%5B/url"&gt;http://www.bibl.u-szeged.hu/reac-europe/intfinaid_awards.html]this[/url&lt;/a&gt;].&lt;/p>

<p>I think it is 10-20 internationals from each class. Hence, 100some overall.</p>

<p>how exactly does it work with stanford financial aid for international students?</p>

<p>a) you need this much grant money, but we can't give it to you, so sorry</p>

<p>b) you need this much grant money, but we can't give it to you, however we will give you a loan so you can pay it back yourself once you start working.</p>

<p>c) what is the percentage of internationals getting an aprox. 40 k grant?</p>

<p>I believe the following statistics of collegeboard apply only to americans:</p>

<p>Financial Aid Statistics</p>

<pre><code>Full-time freshman enrollment: 1,694
Number who applied for need-based aid: 1,091
Number who were judged to have need: 910
Number who were offered aid: 906
Number who had full need met: 821

Average percent of need met: 100%
Average financial aid package: $40,298
Average need-based loan: $2,205
Average need-based scholarship or grant award: $37,804
Average non-need based aid: $3,755
Average indebtedness at graduation: $14,058
</code></pre>

<p>best wishes</p>

<p>According to the common data for 2010/11, stanford awarded an average of $31,411 to 314 nonresident alien undergraduate students. In 09/10, 258 aliens received aid. In 08/09, 226. In 07/-8, 210. </p>

<p>Keep in mind that some are probably Canadian or other top international athletes who receive non-need-based aid. Also that is the data is for the ENTIRE undergraduate class. So for 10/11, they accepted probably about 75+ international applicants on fin aid. </p>

<p>This is the 2012/13 season, and depending on how you look at the upward trend it looks like there could be ~80-100 who receive aid in this incoming class. I don't know the exact figure, but I think there are about 4000-5000 international applicants a year. That includes those NOT asking for aid. So if you want a REALLY ROUGH percentage, I'd peg it at 1.5-2.5%. But feel free to come up with your own as I'm making super rough estimates and have no inside info. I don't know about the yield on internationals asking for aid, but I'd assume most matriculate unless they're accepted HYPSMC across the board, so that stat may being somewhat negligible. </p>

<p>Here's the common data set for 2010/11. The links for the other years are at the bottom of the page. Stanford</a> University: Common Data Set 2010-2011</p>

<p>Oh, and another stat from that 2010/11 data. There were 138 nonresident aliens who were degree-seeking first-time, first-year.</p>

<p>Thank you very much for that info! =)</p>

<p>Do you perhaps also know the answer to this?</p>

<p>I want to apply to Stanford but don't get how it works with the aid (or loans?!) for internationals.</p>

<p>I know that need-based money for international applicants is very limited.</p>

<p>Assuming the following:</p>

<p>1) I were to qualify for an offer and money was the only limiting factor.</p>

<p>2) Other international applicants, who have a stronger application, receive the available need-based money.</p>

<p>--> the following international students get accepted straight away: the ones, who could be awarded need-based money and the ones, who could pay for themselves.</p>

<p>What happens to the other international applicants?
Do they get declined straight away due to insufficient funding or do they get the offer to attend using a loan instead of grant money?</p>

<p>Thank you very much for your help.</p>

<p>@lordfarquaad, what do you mean by Canadian? I'm a Canadian applying and hoping to get FA :P best of luck to everyone else!</p>

<p>oh sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant "canadian athletes and other top international athletes." I know of two in my area who were approached with significant fin aid, but I think they turned the offers down for full-rides to other schools.</p>