International political economy

<p>What are the best undergraduate programs in international political economy? My son, who will be a senior in high school next year ,is also interested in a public policy double major. He has excellent grades, 2260 SAT, 8 AP's and will have 7 college classes from an honors program at a local university. We want to make sure we are looking at the best programs and not just enamored with the high profiles of some schools.. Any comments would be welcome..</p>

<p>Georgetown and George Washington</p>

<p>What is the difference between Politics, Philosophy and Economics and International Political Economy majors?</p>

<p>How does Claremont McKenna compare to Georgetown or GW?</p>

<p>Well, the Politics, Philosophy, and Economics major at Claremont seems to be more of a basics of all three.
At Georgetown, you work towards a BS-FS (Bac. of Science in Foreign Service) and you specialize in International Political Economics. The curriculum (Requirements</a> - IPEC Major - Georgetown University) is designed to give you a background in International Affairs and the basics of an Econ degree and how that relates to Politics. Your son seems to have the SAT, GPA, and APs but he will also need 3 SATII tests, an interview, and LEADERSHIP. They want people who can maintain everything while become extremely involved. </p>

<p>At GWU, there is no specific International Political Economics specialization but rather a Comparative Political, Economic, and Social Systems specialization. On top of that, you choose a regional concentration (Africa, Asia, Europe, and Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East). Personally, I found the GWU curriculum more engaging because of the regional focus aspects. You can taylor your Functional concentration to complement your Regional specialization (i.e. You can take the "Economy of Japan" course for your Functional spec. and that would complement if you were an Asia Regional spec.). GWU is slightly easier to get into than Georgetown but it is still difficult. If your son has a strong desire to go to GWU, apply Early Decision. This year, GWU had a 50% accepance rate at ED time. </p>

<p>What Georgetown and GWU offer over Claremont, other than the curriculum, is that they are in DC. DC is the center of all of this. Each school comes with a "brand name" for Foreign Affairs. With a degree like this, you need that brand name...unless you plan on going to Law School right after undergrad.</p>

<p>Thanks for such a comprehensive response. He does have 4 subject tests ( all over 700) and leadership ..</p>

<p>fieldhockeymom, I suggest you ask S1 to write you an essay about his future prospects. Any career fields that he capitalizes improperly are those that he subliminally and intuitively values, especially considering that he got a 5 on his AP English Exam.</p>

<p>You're welcome. From what you've shared, your son has a strong shot at getting into one of these schools. I would also suggest getting involved in some type of Foreign Affairs or political activity. When I talked to my Interviewer for Georgetown, she told me the Admissions group looks very highly on those activities if you are applying to Georgetown's political programs. I just want to help someone get what I didn't. I didn't understand admissions until Senior year and figured the International Bacc. Program would carry me.</p>